[webdev] Web Design Update: May 11, 2017

[webdev] Web Design Update: May 11, 2017

Date: Thu, 11 May 2017 06:17:11 -0500
From: Laura Carlson <[hidden email]>
To: webdev <[hidden email]>
Subject: [webdev] Web Design Update: May 11, 2017

+++ WEB DESIGN UPDATE.

- Volume 15, Issue 46, May 11, 2017.

design and development.

++ISSUE 46 CONTENTS.

SECTION ONE: New references.

New links in these categories:

01: ACCESSIBILITY.

02: CASCADING STYLE SHEETS.

03: COLOR.

04: DRUPAL.

05: EVALUATION & TESTING.

06: EVENTS.

07: INFORMATION ARCHITECTURE.

08: MISCELLANEOUS.

09: NAVIGATION.

10: USABILITY.

SECTION TWO:

[Contents ends.]

++ SECTION ONE: New references.

+01: ACCESSIBILITY.

May 18: Global Accessibility Awareness Day
By ITSS, University of Minnesota Duluth.
"Celebrate the occasion in 30 different ways..."

https://itss.d.umn.edu/news/a11y-gaad-2017

Inclusive Design Fundamentals

By Caitlin Geier, Matt Isner, and Dennis Lembree.

Caitlin, Matt, and Dennis' CSUN 2017 workshop materials.

https://isner.github.io/inclusive-design-fundamentals/

Accessibility

By Meggin Kearney, Dave Gash, Alice Boxhall, and Rob Dodson.

"This document set is a text-based version of part of the content
covered in the Udacity course on Accessibility..."

https://developers.google.com/web/fundamentals/accessibility/

IBM Accessibility Checklist

By International Business Machines.

"This is the IBM Accessibility Checklist - Version 7.0. It will
replace IBM Accessibility Checklist for Software - Version 6.1, IBM
Accessibility Checklist for Web and Web-based Documentation - Version
6.1 and Documentation checklist version 2.1 on July 18, 2017..."

http://www-03.ibm.com/able/guidelines/ci162/accessibility_checklist.html

How Many People With Disabilities Use My Website?

By Tim Frick.

"Want to know how many people with disabilities use your site? In this
post, we'll explore why that may not be as easy as you might think..."

https://www.mightybytes.com/blog/
how-many-people-with-disabilities-use-my-website/

Accessibility and PDF Table of Contents

By Gershon Blackmore.

"If there is a Bible for PDF accessibility, it is the 14th chapter of
ISO 32000_2008, the ur-text of the PDF standard. For any Scripture, of
course, there is commentary, and the latest is ISO 14298-1-2016..."

https://www.ssbbartgroup.com/blog/table-of-contents/

Slides: Accessibility as a Focus for People-First Design

By David Sloan.

"I gave a talk at the first UX in the City conference in Manchester,
UK, on May 5th 2017, exploring the connection between people-first
design and accessibility and inclusive design..."

https://www.paciellogroup.com/blog/2017/05/
slides-accessibility-as-a-focus-for-people-first-design/

2017 Federal ADA Title III Lawsuit Numbers 18% Higher than 2016

By Minh Vu, Kristina M. Launey & Susan Ryan.

"The increase of ADA Title III lawsuits in federal court shows no
signs of stopping.  From January 1 through April 30, 2017, 2629
lawsuits were filed - 412 more than during the same period in 2016..."

http://www.adatitleiii.com/2017/05/2017
-federal-ada-title-iii-lawsuit-numbers-18-higher-than-2016/

+02: CASCADING STYLE SHEETS.

CSS Toggle Switch

By Ionut Colceriu.

"Accessible CSS toggle switch using standard form controls..."

https://ghinda.net/css-toggle-switch/

+03: COLOR.

How to Check for Accessible Colors (Video)

By Rob Dodson.

"The main goal of building any website is to convey some information
to the user..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBmLspdAtxM

The Truth About Button Color on Websites
(According to NASA and Eye Tracking)

By Kurtis Morrison.

"It's one of the oldest debates in web design and digital marketing:
which color should you use for call to action buttons?..."

http://www.eyequant.com/blog/button-color-on-websites

+04: DRUPAL.

Section 508 Refresh, Accessibility & the Law in the USA (Video)

By Mike Gifford. (Hat tip to Jennifer Sutton)

Mike's April 2017 DrupalCon Baltimore presentation.

https://events.drupal.org/baltimore2017/sessions/
section-508-refresh-accessibility-law-usa

+05: EVALUATION & TESTING.

10 Concepts Management Needs to Know about UX Measurement

By Jeff Sauro.

"...Here are ten key concepts for managing and measuring UX..."

https://measuringu.com/managing-ux/

Automating Peace of Mind with Accessibility Testing & CI with Marcy
Sutton (Video)

By Chicago Digital Accessibility & Inclusive Design.

"Did you know that accessibility test coverage and continuous
integration (CI) go hand-in-hand? Automated tests can catch roughly
30-50% of accessibility issues with minimal effort, depending on your
rule set..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBgZk3zgDHo

30 Days of Accessibility Testing

By Matt Obee and Alon Fridman Waisbard.

"Welcome to a new 30 Days of Testing Challenge..."

https://dojo.ministryoftesting.com/lessons/
30-days-of-accessibility-testing

+06: EVENTS.

How to Help Your Users Find Personally Appealing Content
June 12, 2017.
St. Anthony, Minnesota, U.S.A.
http://upamn.wildapricot.org/event-2546388

#a11yTO Conf
September 28-29, 2017.
Toronto, Ontario
http://conf.a11yto.com/

EDUCAUSE Annual Conference
October 31-November 3, 2017.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, U.S.A.
https://events.educause.edu/annual-conference

World Usability Day
November 9, 2017.
Everywhere
http://www.worldusabilityday.org/

Accessing Higher Ground
November 13-17, 2017.
Westminster, Colorado, U.S.A.
http://accessinghigherground.org/

+07: INFORMATION ARCHITECTURE.

Wireframes Are Dead - Why I Haven't Used Wires in Over a Year.

By Zakary Kinnaird.

"What they are, why you shouldn't use them and what to do instead..."

https://medium.muz.li/wireframes-are-dead-
why-i-havent-used-wires-in-over-a-year-8027fcce1b3f

+08: MISCELLANEOUS.

The Inventor of the Web Tim Berners-Lee on the Future of the Internet,

Fake News, and Why Net Neutrality is so Important

By Mathias Dopfner.
"Mathias Dopfner sat down with Sir Tim Berners-Lee, the inventor of
the World Wide Web, for a far-ranging conversation on the future of
the internet, fake news, net neutrality, and the rising tide of
censorship in countries across the world..."

http://www.businessinsider.com/
mathias-dopfner-tim-berners-lee-world-wide-web-interview-2017-5

+09: NAVIGATION.

Tree Testing: Fast, Iterative Evaluation of Menu Labels and Categories

By Kathryn Whitenton.

"Follow these tips to effectively evaluate a site's navigation
hierarchy and to avoid common design mistakes."

https://www.nngroup.com/articles/tree-testing/

Anchors OK? Re-Assessing In-Page Links

By Kathryn Whitenton.

"While jump links have caused problems in the past, they can
successfully be used to move users down long pages and directly to
content, on any screen size."

https://www.nngroup.com/articles/in-page-links/

Menus & Menu Buttons

By Heydon Pickering.

"...Don't use ARIA menu semantics in navigation menu systems. On
content heavy sites, don't hide structure away in nested
dropdown-powered navigation menus. Use aria-expanded to indicate the
open/closed state of a button-activated navigation menu. Make sure
said navigation menu is next in focus order after the button that
opens/closes it. Never sacrifice usability in the pursuit of
JavaScript-free solutions. It's vanity."

https://inclusive-components.design/menus-menu-buttons/

An Introduction to Taxonomies

By Sarah Khan.

"...This article will explore what taxonomies are, how to gather the
information for them and visually display them, and how they're useful
for digital products..."

http://www.uxbooth.com/articles/introduction-to-taxonomies/

+10: USABILITY.

Less Is More (Video)

By Jakob Nielsen.

"Jakob Nielsen talks about why having a feature-rich interface can
make navigation difficult to learn and overly complex."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dntokZAGr_c

Icon or Label?

By Adrian Narloch.

"...Combining icons and labels together allows us to take advantages
from both approaches so if we don't have ( or we don't need ) regular,
loyal audience it could be the best solution."

https://blog.prototypr.io/icon-or-label-1486425252bd

The Customer is Now the Advertiser

By Gerry McGovern.

"...An essential element of the Web is that it gives us more control..."

http://gerrymcgovern.com/the-customer-is-now-the-advertiser/

UX Designers Hate Scrum for a Reason

By Dragan Kovacevic.

"...There are many problems when running user experience design in a
Scrum team..."

http://kovacevic.io/ux-designers-hate-scrum-for-a-reason.html

[Section one ends.]

++ SECTION TWO:

Accessibility Information.

Association Information.

Book Listings.

Cascading Style Sheets Information.

Color Information.

Drupal Information.

Evaluation & Testing Information.

Event Information.

HTML Information.

Information Architecture Information.

JavaScript Information.

Miscellaneous Web Information.

Navigation Information.

PHP Information.

Sites & Blogs Listing.

Tool Information.

Typography Information.

Usability Information.

XML Information.

[Section two ends.]

++END NOTES.

+ SUBSCRIPTION INFO.

+ TEXT EMAIL NEWSLETTER (TEN).

the accessible Text Email Newsletter (TEN) guidelines.  Please let me

http://www.headstar.com/ten

+ SIGN OFF.

Until next time,

Laura L. Carlson