[webdev] Web Design Update: March 15, 2018 (fwd)

[webdev] Web Design Update: March 15, 2018 (fwd)

Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2018 05:44:02 -0500
From: Laura Carlson <[hidden email]>
To: webdev <[hidden email]>
Subject: [webdev] Web Design Update: March 15, 2018

+++ WEB DESIGN UPDATE.

- Volume 16, Issue 38, March 15, 2018.

An email newsletter to distribute news and information about web design and development.

++ISSUE 38 CONTENTS.

SECTION ONE: New references.

New links in these categories:

01: ACCESSIBILITY.

02: CASCADING STYLE SHEETS.

03: EVALUATION & TESTING.

04: EVENTS.

05: HTML.

07: MISCELLANEOUS.

08: NAVIGATION.

09: USABILITY.

SECTION TWO:

[Contents ends.]

++ SECTION ONE: New references.

+01: ACCESSIBILITY.

A DIY Web Accessibility Blueprint

By Beth Raduenzel.

"Good accessibility is good UX. We should seek to create the best user
experience for all (not just the able-bodied). But launching a company
accessibility remediation project can be a big undertaking. You will need
to win over company leadership, build a multi-disciplinary accessibility
team, and educate everyone on accessibility standards. In this article,
Beth Raduenzel provides a step-by-step guide to making and maintaining an
accessible website."

https://alistapart.com/article/diy-web-accessibility-blueprint

WCAG 2.1 Guidelines. What's New We May Expect?

By Artur Kaczmarek.

"The first version of Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) was
released by Web Accessibility Initiative (WAI) in 1999…"

https://www.joomla-monster.com/blog/web-development/
wcag-2-1-guidelines-what-s-new

Text Splitting Causes Screen Reader Problems

By Daniel Göransson.

"I am a screen reader user, and I am annoyed…"

https://axesslab.com/text-splitting/

Accessibility for Developers

By İrem Ercan.

"Simple steps to improve and enforce your website accessibility…"

https://www.invisionapp.com/blog/accessibility-for-developers/

A Primer to Web Accessibility for Designers

By Nicholas Kramer.

"Quick wins to make your designs more inclusive…"

https://uxplanet.org/
a-primer-to-web-accessibility-for-designers-2c548448c612

A11y Isn't Just…

By Dave Letorey.

Why a11y? A11y is a numeronym, presenting "accessibility" as "a" followed
by 11 more letters, followed by "y".

https://letorey.co.uk/blog/a11y-isnt-just

When Accessibility Doesn't Make It into the EDUCAUSE Top 10: Turn It Up to
11

By Jess Thompson, Amy Rovner and Tom Gibbons.

"…as vital discussions around diversity and equity have moved into the
spotlight, people with disabilities have frequently remained an
afterthought, reflecting an ongoing societal struggle to adequately
recognize their rights…"

https://er.educause.edu/articles/2018/3/when-accessibility-
doesnt-make-it-into-the-educause-top-10-turn-it-up-to-11

How Do I Edit the Alternative Text for a Photo (on Facebook)?

By Facebook. (hat tip to @seanzdenek) "How to replace auto generated
alt-text on your Facebook photos and images with better, more accessible
descriptions."

https://www.facebook.com/help/214124458607871

+02: CASCADING STYLE SHEETS.

Short Note on What CSS Display Properties do to Table Semantics

By Steve Faulkner.

"The CSS display properties are powerful…"

https://developer.paciellogroup.com/blog/2018/03/
short-note-on-what-css-display-properties-do-to-table-semantics/

Writing CSS with Accessibility in Mind (Video)

By Manuel Matuzovic.

"…This talk aims to demystify web accessibility and provide you with
simple and practical CSS tips and tricks, which you can easily incorporate
into your workflow today. You are going to find out how to make your web
projects more inclusive and improve the usability and user experience at
the same time…"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOiC2M47GBY

What's the Deal with Margin Collapse?

By Jonathan Harrell.

"Learn about the margin collapse, a fundamental concept of CSS layout. See
visual examples of when margin collapse happens, and when it doesn't."

https://jonathan-harrell.com/whats-the-deal-with-margin-collapse/

+03: EVALUATION & TESTING.

Tips For Conducting Usability Studies With Participants With Disabilities

By Peter McNally.

"Over the last few years, I ran several usability studies with
participants with various disabilities…"

https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2018/03/
tips-conducting-usability-studies-participants-disabilities/

43 Ways to Find Participants For Research

By Tomer Sharon.

"One of the biggest bottlenecks of research and a topic of unjust
misconceptions is finding people who will participate in research…"

https://medium.com/@tsharon/
43-ways-to-find-participants-for-research-ba4ddcc2255b

Dealing with Difficult Usability Test Participants

By David Travis.

"A common concern of people running usability tests is that sooner or
later they'll run into a difficult participant. Who are these difficult
characters and how can we prevent them from being a problem?…"

https://medium.com/@userfocus/
dealing-with-difficult-usability-test-participants-113474fd5925

The UX Testing Tool That Was Here All This Time

By Diana Weschke.

"Have you ever heard of the User Experience Questionnaire or UEQ? If you
have not, you need to download it right now…"

https://uxplanet.org/this-quick-tool-for-ux-
tracking-was-here-all-this-time-for-free-bb9a195f6423

Why You Should Avoid Coffee Shop or Guerilla Usability Tests (Video)

By Sarah Doody.

"In this video, I'll address the controversial topic of conducting
guerilla usability tests and user research interviews, otherwise known as
'coffee shop usability'…"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPhq2ExH918

Is a Single Item Enough to Measure a Construct?

By Jeff Sauro.

"…Single item measures are likely adequate for some constructs… Multi-item
measures are better for more complex constructs… Multi-item measures will
improve the amount of points of discrimination… Use more points for single
items… Consider test-retest as an alternate measure of reliability…"

https://measuringu.com/single-multi-items/

+04: EVENTS.

Leadership Exchange in Arts and Disability (LEAD®) August 9-11, 2018.
Atlanta, Georgia, U.S.A.
http://education.kennedy-center.org/education/accessibility/lead/conference.html

An Event Apart Chicago August 27-29, 2018. Chicago, Illinois, U.S.A.
https://aneventapart.com/event/chicago-2018

Authoring Tools Accessibility: New US and European Requirements September
26, 2018. Online
http://www.accessibilityassociation.org/content.asp?admin=Y&contentid=519

+05: HTML.

Swapping Images with the Sizes Attribute

By Scott Jehl.

"…Overall, we find this trick to be really handy, particularly as it
allows our clients to place all of their image sizes in one place in the
markup, which tends to make integration easier with various content
management systems…"

https://www.filamentgroup.com/lab/sizes-swap/

HTML5 Accessibility

By Steve Faulkner.

"Get the current accessibility support status of HTML5 features across
major browsers. Editor's draft, March 2018"

http://html5accessibility.com/

<main>

Updated By Steve Faulkner.

Steve updated the "@MozDevNet documentation for <main> to reflect the
W3C/WHATWG definition alignment."

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/HTML/Element/main

Accessible Autosuggest Dropdown

By Dennis Lembrée.

"…modified version of an accessible autosuggest from Intopia's autosuggest
article…"

https://weboverhauls.github.io/demos/autosuggest/

+08: MISCELLANEOUS.

One-Page-Applications Are Not Accessible

By Craig Abbott.

"…People do amazing things. I don't doubt for one minute that a good
accessible one-page-application is possible. But I've not seen one yet."

http://www.craigabbott.co.uk/one-page-applications-are-not-accessible

Planning for Everything: The Design of Paths and Goals

By Peter Morville.

"This is a sample chapter from Peter Morville's new book Planning for
Everything: The Design of Paths and Goals…"

https://www.uxmatters.com/mt/archives/2018/03/
planning-for-everything-the-design-of-paths-and-goals.php

+09: NAVIGATION.

Why Organizations are Still so Bad at Findability

By Gerry McGovern.

"…If content is the oil of the Web, then findability is the petrol /
gasoline. Content that is not findable is crude. It sits there with
untapped potential. If you don't have a findability strategy, you don't
have a digital strategy."

http://gerrymcgovern.com/
why-organizations-are-still-so-bad-at-findability/

+10: USABILITY.

The Two UX Gulfs: Evaluation and Execution

By Kathryn Whitenton.

"With every interaction, users must overcome the twin challenges of
understanding the current state of a system and figuring out how to change
it. Designers can support them by being aware of these gulfs and bridging
them with a transparent conceptual model."

https://www.nngroup.com/articles/two-ux-gulfs-evaluation-execution/

Gestalt Theory for UX Designers: Principle of Similarity.

By Marina Yalanska.

"…today we are going back to basics: let's start revising how Gestalt
grouping principles can affect user interfaces positively…"

https://design4users.com/2018/02/13/
gestalt-theory-for-ux-designers-principle-of-similarity/

Banner Blindness: Ad-Like Elements Divert Attention (Video)

By Kara Pernice.

"Recent eyetracking studies confirm an old finding: People tend to ignore
design elements that signal advertisements."

https://www.nngroup.com/videos/banner-blindness/

Attributes of Effective Agile UX (Video)

By Page Laubheimer.

"Agile is not easy for UX. However, blending Agile and UX can work with
the right culture and mindset."

https://www.nngroup.com/videos/effective-agile-ux/

Creating User-Friendly Forms

By Momoh Silm.

"…creating user-friendly forms is a major key to increasing the completion
rate of your forms…"

https://blog.prototypr.io/creating-user-friendly-forms-46e3f7f4eef2

User-Centered Web Development

By Jens Oliver Meiert.

"…Developer experience (and developer usability, as suggested in
Principles of Web Development) matters, but ultimately we as developers do
have users, and our work should reflect that…"

https://meiert.com/en/blog/user-centered-web-development/

[Section one ends.]

++ SECTION TWO:

Accessibility Information.

Association Information.

Book Listings.

Cascading Style Sheets Information.

Color Information.

Drupal Information.

Evaluation & Testing Information.

Event Information.

HTML Information.

Information Architecture Information.

JavaScript Information.

Miscellaneous Web Information.

Navigation Information.

PHP Information.

Sites & Blogs Listing.

Tool Information.

Typography Information.

Usability Information.

XML Information.

[Section two ends.]

++END NOTES.

+ SUBSCRIPTION INFO.

WEB DESIGN UPDATE is available by subscription. For information on how to
subscribe and unsubscribe please visit:

+ TEXT EMAIL NEWSLETTER (TEN).

As a navigation aid for screen readers we do our best to conform to the
accessible Text Email Newsletter (TEN) guidelines. Please let me know if
there is anything else we can do to make navigation easier. For TEN
guideline information please visit:

http://www.headstar.com/ten

+ SIGN OFF.

Until next time,