[webdev] Web Design Update: June 15, 2017

[webdev] Web Design Update: June 15, 2017

Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2017 06:15:02 -0500
From: Laura Carlson <[hidden email]>
To: webdev <[hidden email]>
Subject: [webdev] Web Design Update: June 15, 2017

+++ WEB DESIGN UPDATE.

- Volume 15, Issue 51, June 15, 2017.

design and development.

++ISSUE 51 CONTENTS.

SECTION ONE: New references.

New links in these categories:

01: ACCESSIBILITY.

02: CASCADING STYLE SHEETS.

03: EVALUATION & TESTING.

04: EVENTS.

05: JAVASCRIPT.

06: NAVIGATION.

07: TOOLS.

08: USABILITY.

SECTION TWO:

[Contents ends.]

++ SECTION ONE: New references.

+01: ACCESSIBILITY.

How to Make Your Website Accessible to People Who Use a Screen Magnifier

By Frederik Creemers.

"...In this article, I'll give some tips on how you can make your
website more accessible to users of screen magnifying software..."

https://dev.to/_bigblind/how-to-make-your-
website-accessible-to-people-who-use-a-screen-magnifier

Here's Why Accessibility is Not the Enemy of Design

By Creative Bloq Staff.

"Leading consultant LĂ©onie Watson explains that website accessibility
and good design go hand-in-hand in our exclusive video interview."

http://www.creativebloq.com/web-design/
why-accessibility-not-enemy-beauty-8134056

Accessibility Principles

By W3C Web Accessibility Initiative.

"This page introduces some of the web accessibility requirements for
websites, web applications, browsers, and other tools. It provides
references to the international standards from W3C Web Accessibility
Initiative (WAI), which include considerations for the broad diversity
of web users and ways people use the Web..."

https://www.w3.org/WAI/intro/people-use-web/principles

Accessibility Audits are Fun!

By Jess Lee.

"At conferences, I always gravitate towards accessibility talks. "

https://dev.to/jess/accessibility-audits-are-fun

The Power (and Limits) of Automated Accessibility Testing

By Dan Holbrook.

"Automation is a powerful tool for accessibility. We use it in almost
all aspects of our accessibility work at The Nerdery, from estimation
to design to development to quality assurance..."

https://www.nerdery.com/blog/
the-power-and-limits-of-automated-accessibility-testing

Building in Digital Inclusion

By Mike Gifford.

"...There are lots of little steps that any organization could do to
include more people with disabilities. This is a description of an
approach for an organization that wanted to demonstrate leadership..."

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/building-digital-inclusion-mike-gifford

Inclusive Design Principles

By Henny Swan.

"Behind every great site or application lies thought, empathy and
inclusion. This doesn't happen by accident, it happens by design..."

https://www.paciellogroup.com/blog/2017/06/inclusive-design-principles/

Inclusive Design 24 Playlist (Videos)

By The Paciello Group.

All 24 webinars from the June 9 event are online.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL95LOQw9SLWwqX2xoYidVO2YA7gknhmcx

First Federal Court Rules That Having An Inaccessible Website Violates
Title III Of The ADA

By Minh Vu.

"Today's first impression trial verdict finding retailer Winn-Dixie
liable under Title III of the ADA for having an inaccessible website
suggests that public accommodations should focus on their website
accessibility efforts now...."

http://www.adatitleiii.com/2017/06/first-federal-court-rules-
that-having-an-inaccessible-website-violates-title-iii-of-the-ada/

Verdict and Order Following Non-Jury Trial (PDF)

http://www.adatitleiii.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/
121/2017/06/16-cv-23020-63-Verdict-Order_WinnDixie.pdf

Big Win for Blind Shopper in First U.S. ADA Web Accessibility Trial

By The Law Office of Lainey Feingold.

"...'Winn-Dixie has presented no evidence to establish that it would
be unduly burdensome to make its website accessible to visually
impaired individuals..."

http://www.lflegal.com/2017/06/winn-dixie/

Gil v. Winn Dixie Case Docket

By United States Courts Archive.

Includes complaint, Order denying 15 Motion for Judgment on the
Pleadings, Proposed Findings of Fact, etc.

https://www.unitedstatescourts.org/federal/flsd/488749/

+02: CASCADING STYLE SHEETS.

The Responsive Order Conflict for Keyboard Focus

By Alastair Campbell.

"We're starting to hit a problem with the new CSS methods (Flexbox and
Grid), and how people using a keyboard (or equivalent) interact with a
page. I'm not the first to say the keyboard order should follow the
CSS, but I'd like to highlight some recent examples from work..."

https://alastairc.ac/2017/06/the-responsive-order-conflict/

Locally Scoped CSS Variables: What, How, and Why

By Una Kravets.

"CSS Custom Properties (also popularly called CSS Variables) are here!

This is really exciting because we finally have true variables in
CSS..."

https://una.im/local-css-vars/

Methods for Contrasting Text Against Backgrounds

By Ana Tudor.

"It started with seeing a recent Pen of Mandy Michael's text effects demos..."

https://css-tricks.com/methods-contrasting-text-backgrounds/

An Introduction to the 'fr' CSS Unit

By Robin Rendle.

"With all the excitement around CSS Grid, I haven't seen as much talk
about the new fr CSS length unit..."

https://css-tricks.com/introduction-fr-css-unit/

The State of CSS

By Ryan Oglesby.

"It's no secret that we are currently experiencing a Cambrian
explosion of innovation by the JavaScript community. But what you may
not be aware of are the equally evolutionary innovations under
development by the CSS community..."

http://ryanogles.by/css/javascript/2017/05/25/the-state-of-css.html

#COFFEE is the Color

By froden.

"What real words are actually valid CSS HEX colors? Parsing an English
dictionary for entries containing only the letters ABCDEF and limiting
the result to words of exactly 6 or 3 letters length (#FFFFFF or #FFF)
gives us some interesting results..."

http://c0ffee.surge.sh/

+03: EVALUATION & TESTING.

How to Build Usability Testing Into Everything You Do

By Paul Boag.

"Don't worry. This is not another post lecturing you about the
importance of usability testing. No, this post is about actually
making that usability testing happen."

https://www.shopify.com/partners/blog/
how-to-build-usability-testing-into-everything-you-do

+04: EVENTS.

WCAG 2.0 - Operable
June 21, 2017.
Chicago, Illinois, U.S.A.
https://www.meetup.com/a11ychi/events/233845763/
Live stream:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GEqz6Ol3j8

Confab Higher Ed
November 6-8, 2017.
Indianapolis, Indiana, U.S.A.
http://confabevents.com/events/higher-ed-2017

PHP World
November 15-16, 2017.
Washington, D.C., U.S.A.
https://world.phparch.com/

+05: JAVASCRIPT.

aria-current (State)

By Rakesh Paladugula.

"aria-current state is used to indicate the current item in a set of
elements within a component or a widget or a set of related
elements..."

http://www.maxability.co.in/2017/06/aria-current-state/

Classes, Complexity, and Functional Programming

By Kent C. Dodds.
"When I use classes, when I don't, what I do instead, and why..."

https://medium.com/@kentcdodds/
classes-complexity-and-functional-programming-a8dd86903747

JavaScript's New '#' Private Class Fields

By James Kyle.

"What they are, how they work, and why they are the way they are..."

http://thejameskyle.com/javascripts-new-private-class-fields.html

+06: NAVIGATION.

Dropdown: Design Guidelines

By Angie Li.

"Dropdown boxes and menus are overused and clunky but can be useful
for revealing a list of options or commands."

https://www.nngroup.com/articles/drop-down-menus/

+07: TOOLS.

Color Contrast Checker (Hat to tip Peter Angelos)

By SSB Bart Group.

"Enter a RGB foreground and background color in #hex or integer format
to check contrast for accessibility."

http://www.ssbbartgroup.com/reference/color-contrast-checker/

+08: USABILITY.

It Pays to Pay Attention to Current Customers

By Gerry McGovern.

"Time spent (minutes per month) on websites was down across all
industries in the U.S. in 2016, according to an Adobe report. 'Despite
time spent being down, visit rates are up 4% year-over-year (YoY)
across all industries,' CMO Adobe wrote. This makes sense. The
simpler, faster and more convenient you make your website, the more
likely a customer is to come back..."

http://gerrymcgovern.com/it-pays-to-pay-attention-to-current-customers/

[Section one ends.]

++ SECTION TWO:

Accessibility Information.

Association Information.

Book Listings.

Cascading Style Sheets Information.

Color Information.

Drupal Information.

Evaluation & Testing Information.

Event Information.

HTML Information.

Information Architecture Information.

JavaScript Information.

Miscellaneous Web Information.

Navigation Information.

PHP Information.

Sites & Blogs Listing.

Tool Information.

Typography Information.

Usability Information.

XML Information.

[Section two ends.]

++END NOTES.

+ SUBSCRIPTION INFO.

+ TEXT EMAIL NEWSLETTER (TEN).

the accessible Text Email Newsletter (TEN) guidelines.  Please let me

http://www.headstar.com/ten

+ SIGN OFF.

Until next time,

Laura L. Carlson