[webdev] Web Design Update: July 17, 2009

[webdev] Web Design Update: July 17, 2009

Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 06:26:08 -0500
From: Laura Carlson <[hidden email]>
To: [hidden email]
Subject: [webdev] Web Design Update: July 17, 2009

+++ WEB DESIGN UPDATE.
- Volume 8, Issue 03, July 17, 2009.

An email newsletter to distribute news and information about web design and
development.

++ISSUE 03 CONTENTS.

SECTION ONE: New references.
http://www.d.umn.edu/goto/webdesign/
New links in these categories:

01: ACCESSIBILITY.
02: EVENTS.
03: JAVASCRIPT.
04: PHP.
05: STANDARDS, GUIDELINES & PATTERNS.
06: TOOLS.
07: USABILITY.
08: XML.

SECTION TWO:

[Contents ends.]

++ SECTION ONE: New references.

+01: ACCESSIBILITY.

Relationship Between Mobile Web Best Practices (MWBP) and Web Content
Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG)
By Alan Chuter and Yeliz Yesilada, Editors.
"This technical report helps Web developers meet both Web Content Accessibility
Guidelines (WCAG) and Mobile Web Best Practices 1.0 (MWBP). It describes the
similarities and differences between requirements in WCAG and MWPB. It is
designed primarily to help Web developers who have worked with either WCAG or
MWBP to learn about the additional requirements in the other."
http://www.w3.org/TR/2009/NOTE-mwbp-wcag-20090709/

Your Page Title Matters More Than You Think
By Skye.
"...The page title is the first thing that screen reader users hear when they
get to a page, so it's great if it actually tells them what the page is. If
every page on your blog has just the name of the home page, that's not so
helpful and could even be disorienting if a reader goes from your home page to
one of your posts, or vice versa..."
http://tinyurl.com/noqxze

Keyboard Accessibility in Web Applications, part 2
By Mihai Sucan.
"...In the first part of the article we added keyboard shortcuts to a simple
paint application. Now we will implement a way to move the pointer inside the
drawing canvas using keyboard shortcuts..."
http://tinyurl.com/l7rfnc

Representative Markey Introduces 21st Century Communications & Video
Accessibility Act of 2009 to Make Broadband More Accessible
By Coalition of Organizations for Accessible Technology (COATS).
"Before Congress adjourned on June 26, Rep. Ed Markey (D-MA) introduced the
"21st Century Communications and Video Accessibility Act of 2009" (H.R. 3101).
This comprehensive measure would modernize disability accessibility mandates in
the Communications Act, bringing existing requirements up to date as TV and
phone services connect via the Internet and use new digital and broadband
technologies..."
http://www.coataccess.org/node/4011

+02: EVENTS.

The HTML 5 Experiments - Bruce Lawson
July 23, 2009.
Stanford University
Palo Alto, California, U.S.A.
http://events.stanford.edu/events/198/19845/

EuroIA Summit '09
September 24-26, 2009.
Copenhagen, Denmark
http://www.euroia.org

Human Work Interaction Design '09
Working Conference on Usability in Social, Cultural and Organizational Contexts
October 7-8, 2009.
Pune University, India
http://hcdc.cdac.in/hwid/

Web Directions South 2009
October 6-9, 2009.
Sydney, Australia
http://south09.webdirections.org/

+03: JAVASCRIPT.

Native Drag and Drop
By Remy Sharp.
"Along with an army of JavaScript APIs, HTML 5 comes with a Drag and Drop (DnD)
API that brings native DnD support to the browser making it much easier to code
up..."
http://html5doctor.com/native-drag-and-drop/

+04: PHP.

More on PHP Performance
By Stas Malyshev.
"After writing the post criticizing Google's 'performance advice' for PHP
beginners, I started thinking ? OK, I don't like Google's advice, what would I
propose instead?..."
http://php100.wordpress.com/2009/07/13/php-performance/

+05: STANDARDS, GUIDELINES & PATTERNS.

HTML5 - The Section Element
By Virginia DeBolt.
"...The section element is a new semantic element. It groups related content.
This might be a part or chapter in a book, a section in a chapter, or  anything
that had its own heading in HTML 4. Each section may include other new semantic
elements such as header and footer, and well as various kinds of HTML elements
such as images, paragraphs, list, etc..."
http://www.webteacher.ws/2009/07/10/html5-the-section-element/

Semantic Navigation With the Nav Element
By Tom Leadbetter.
"One of the new elements for HTML 5 is the <nav> element which allows you to
group together links, resulting in more semantic markup and extra structure
which may help screenreaders. In this article I'll discuss how and where to use
it as well as some reservations I have with the specifications definition..."
http://html5doctor.com/nav-element/

The Future of summary in HTML 5
By Joshue O Connor.
"There will soon be a HTML 5 working group vote on whether the summary
attribute (@summary) should be reinstated in HTML 5 and Joshue O Connor of NCBI
CFIT is writing the first draft of the text that will be reviewed by the Web
Accessibility Initiative (WAI). It is currently obsolete."
http://www.cfit.ie/index.php/now-archive/86-summary-in-html-5

Video for Everybody!
By Kroc Camen.
"Video for Everybody is very simply a chunk of HTML code that embeds a video
into a website using the HTML5 <video> element which offers native playback in
Firefox 3.5 and Safari 3 & 4"
http://camendesign.com/code/video_for_everybody

More Video Accessibility Work
By Silvia Pfeiffer.
"...My aim is two-fold: firstly to improve the HTML5 audio and video tags with
textual representations, and secondly to hook up the Ogg file format with these
accessibility features through an Ogg-internal text codec..."
http://blog.gingertech.net/2009/07/14/more-video-accessibility-work/

Vendor Veto
By Sam Ruby.
"Shelley Powers recently made a good faith effort to create a Formal Objection;
however, to date I have not found a way to treat it as such. The concern is
certainly valid, but we need to find a process for dealing with the issue, and
this post is a part of the process for determining the process..."
http://intertwingly.net/blog/2009/07/11/Vendor-Veto

Canvas, Accessibility and SVG
By Bruce Lawson.
"Since watching Steve Faulkner's standards.next presentation about HTML 5
accessibility, I've become more interested in the accessibility of the canvas
element. canvas is a method of producing dynamic graphics with JavaScript: The
canvas element represents a resolution-dependent bitmap canvas, which can be
used for rendering graphs, game graphics, or other visual images on the fly..."
http://www.brucelawson.co.uk/2009/canvas-accessibility-and-svg/

Block-level Links in HTML 5
By Bruce Lawson.
"One new and exciting thing you can do in HTML 5 is wrap links round
'block-level' elements..."
http://html5doctor.com/block-level-links-in-html-5/

HTML 5: nav Ambiguity Resolved
By Jeffery Zeldman.
"An e-mail from Chairman Hickson resolves an ambiguity in the nav element of
HTML 5..."
http://www.zeldman.com/2009/07/13/html-5-nav-ambiguity-resolved/

Survivor - W3C
By Shelly Powers.
"...XHTML will continue, but it's a weakened XHTML, barely given enough oxygen
to survive. In the wake of its rude abandonment, other affiliated groups,
including the RDFa group, are left to scramble about as best they can to find a
base. Sam Ruby of the HTML WG has encouraged them to jump into the HTML 5 web
waters, and grab a copy of HTML 5 as a raft to ride to the future. I hope we
will be forgiven, though, if we see the raft as a desperate, leaky ride, at
best..."
http://tinyurl.com/md6p43

HTML 5 is a Mess
By Bruce Lawson.
"'HTML 5 is a mess', said John Allsopp. I agree. It is. It's also several
different kind of messes, not all of which are avoidable or bad. Let's look at
them..."
http://www.brucelawson.co.uk/2009/html-5-is-a-mess/

HTML 5 is a Mess. Now What?
By Jeffery Zeldman.
"...As confused as I have continually felt while surfing this whirlwind, I have
never stopped being certain of two things: 1. XHTML 1.0?and for that matter,
HTML 4.01?will continue to work long after I and my websites are gone...2. That
said, the creation of a new markup language concerns us all, and an informed
community will only help the framers of HTML 5 navigate the sharp rocks of
tricky shoals..."
http://www.zeldman.com/2009/07/16/html-5-is-a-mess-now-what/

Microformats, Key Flaws
By Jens Meiert.
"I like the idea behind microformats, but I'm still not convinced of the way
that idea is brought to life. I see three major flaws..."
http://meiert.com/en/blog/20090716/microformats-key-flaws/

+06: TOOLS.

i18n checker
By Richard Ishida.
"This page looks for character encoding and language declarations in the HTTP
headers or the head element of an (X)HTML page. NOTE: This tool is still in the
early stages of development. It is guaranteed to contain bugs and lack features
you'd like..."
http://rishida.net/tools/i18nchecker/index.php

Photosensitive Epilepsy Analysis Tool (PEAT)
By Trace Center.
"...PEAT can help authors determine whether animations or video in their
content are likely to cause seizures. Not all content needs to be evaluated by
PEAT, but content that contains video or animation should be evaluated,
especially if that content contains flashing or rapid transitions between light
and dark background colors...(Windows Vista, or Windows XP with some
restrictions).."
http://trace.wisc.edu/peat/

+07: USABILITY.

Adding Features Adds Complexity
By Gerry McGovern.
"Many website managers fail to recognize that any addition to the
website adds complexity, which may result in confused and lost
customers."
http://tinyurl.com/n88t2b

+08: XML.

I've Still Got the Greatest Enthusiasm and Confidence in the Mission
By Shane McCarron.
"HTML5 is here to stay. I get that. But that doesn't mean we have to continue
to repeat our mistakes. Ignoring the HTML4 specification was a mistake.
Ignoring the XHTML specification(s) is also a mistake. Pretending that the
'XHTML5' part of HTML5 somehow continues the evolution of XHTML as part of the
XML toolchain is a gigantic mistake. HTML5 has no extensibility model. It has
no way to incorporate other public or private grammars into the content model.
It has no model to define and connect RDF grammars that would expand the
semantics of the language. It has no behavioral rules that describe how user
agents must behave that will permit this extensibility going forward...."
http://tinyurl.com/n6ros5

HTML5 and XHTML5 - MIME is The Answer
By Molly E. Holzschlag.
"Currently, all the HTML5 / XML 'serialization' stuff simply boils down to two
straight-forward rules..."
http://www.molly.com/2009/07/14/html5-xhtml5-mime-is-the-answer/

[Section one ends.]

++ SECTION TWO:

Accessibility Information.
http://www.d.umn.edu/goto/accessibility

Association Information.
http://www.d.umn.edu/goto/associations

Book Listings.
http://www.d.umn.edu/goto/books

Cascading Style Sheets Information.
http://www.d.umn.edu/goto/css

Color Information.
http://www.d.umn.edu/goto/color

Dreamweaver Information.
http://www.d.umn.edu/goto/dreamweaver

Evaluation & Testing Information.
http://www.d.umn.edu/goto/testing

Event Information.
http://www.d.umn.edu/goto/events

Flash Information.
http://www.d.umn.edu/goto/flash

Information Architecture Information.
http://www.d.umn.edu/goto/architecture

JavaScript Information.
http://www.d.umn.edu/goto/javascript

Miscellaneous Web Information.
http://www.d.umn.edu/goto/misc

Navigation Information.
http://www.d.umn.edu/goto/navigation

PHP Information.
http://www.d.umn.edu/goto/php

Sites & Blogs Listing.
http://www.d.umn.edu/goto/sites

http://www.d.umn.edu/goto/standards

Tool Information.
http://www.d.umn.edu/goto/tools

Typography Information.
http://www.d.umn.edu/goto/type

Usability Information.
http://www.d.umn.edu/goto/usability

XML Information.
http://www.d.umn.edu/goto/xml

[Section two ends.]

++END NOTES.

+ SUBSCRIPTION INFO.

WEB DESIGN UPDATE is available by subscription. For information on how to
subscribe and unsubscribe please visit:
http://www.d.umn.edu/goto/webdevlist

+ TEXT EMAIL NEWSLETTER (TEN).

As a navigation aid for screen readers we do our best to conform to the
accessible Text Email Newsletter (TEN) guidelines.  Please let me know if there
is anything else we can do to make navigation easier. For TEN guideline
information please visit:
http://www.headstar.com/ten

+ SIGN OFF.

Until next time,