[webdev] Web Design Update: January 4, 2018

[webdev] Web Design Update: January 4, 2018

Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2018 05:19:18 -0600
From: Laura Carlson <[hidden email]>
To: webdev <[hidden email]>
Subject: [webdev] Web Design Update: January 4, 2018

+++ WEB DESIGN UPDATE.

- Volume 16, Issue 28, January 4, 2018.

An email newsletter to distribute news and information about web design and development.

++ISSUE 28 CONTENTS.

SECTION ONE: New references.

New links in these categories:

01: ACCESSIBILITY.

02: CASCADING STYLE SHEETS.

03: EVALUATION & TESTING.

04: EVENTS.

05: JAVASCRIPT.

06: MISCELLANEOUS.

07: NAVIGATION.

08: USABILITY.

SECTION TWO:

[Contents ends.]

++ SECTION ONE: New references.

+01: ACCESSIBILITY.

Extreme Design (Video)

By Derek Featherstone.

"…It turns out that creating great experiences for a particular subset of
our users-people with disabilities-results in better designs for
everyone…"

https://aneventapart.com/news/post/extreme-design-by-derek-featherstonean-event-apart-video

What's in a Name?

By Mark Miller.

"…For assistive technology, such as screen readers, magnifiers, speech
recognition, braille devices, etc, the name of an object, or more
specifically, the "accessible name" of an object, is extremely important…"

http://www.interactiveaccessibility.com/blog/whats-name

Practical Examples of Accessibility Improvements

By Hampus Sethfors.

"'It would be great to see actual examples of accessibility in action.
Like before and after accessibility improvements.' I got this great
comment from a woman in the audience at a meetup. So let's make that idea
a reality…"

https://axesslab.com/practical-accessibility-improvements/

Improving the Accessibility of 24 Ways

By Paul Robert Lloyd.

"…In this article, I will cover five areas where I was able to make
improvements…"

https://css-tricks.com/improving-accessibility-24-ways/

No ADA Web Accessibility Regs? No Excuses

By Lainey Feingold.

"…Accessibility is a civil right with or without federal ADA regulations…"

http://www.lflegal.com/2017/12/withdrawn-regs/

ICBA Negotiates Settlement with Plaintiff Group on Alleged ADA Liability

By Bryan Cave.

"Numerous community banks that had received demand letters from the
advocacy group Access Now alleging that their websites and mobile apps are
inaccessible in violation of Title III of the Americans With Disabilities
Act (the 'ADA') have now also received letters that those claims have been
resolved under a settlement with the Independent Community Bankers of
America (ICBA…"

https://www.jdsupra.com/legalnews/icba-negotiates-settlement-with-27384/

Web Accessibility Suits and Settlements in 2017

By Rakesh Paladugula.

"End of the year, Time to look at web accessibility suits and settlements
in 2017…"

http://www.maxability.co.in/2017/12/
web-accessibility-suits-and-settlements-in-2017/

+02: CASCADING STYLE SHEETS.

Auto-Sizing Columns in CSS Grid: 'auto-fill' vs 'auto-fit'

By Sara Soueidan.

"One of the most powerful and convenient CSS Grid features is that, in
addition to explicit column sizing, we have the option to repeat-to-fill
columns in a Grid, and then auto-place items in them…"

https://css-tricks.com/
auto-sizing-columns-css-grid-auto-fill-vs-auto-fit/

Five Design Fears to Vanquish With CSS Grid

By Bryan Robinson.

"CSS grid, along with a handful of other new CSS properties, are
revolutionizing web design. Unfortunately, the industry hasn't embraced
that revolution yet and a lot of it is centered around fear that we can
trace back to problems with the current state of CSS grid tutorials…"

https://css-tricks.com/five-design-fears-vanquish-css-grid/

The Two Extremes of Writing CSS, and What We Can Learn from Them

By Jens Oliver Meiert.

"…For the purposes of this article, there are two extremes in writing CSS,
in connection with the underlying HTML. One is to have a presentational ID
or class for every styling purpose. Two is not to use any IDs and classes
at all…"

https://meiert.com/en/blog/css-extremes/

Monitoring Unused CSS by Unleashing the Raw Power of the DevTools Protocol

By Yonatan Mevorach.

"Chrome DevTools is the go-to analysis tool for understanding what's going
on under-the-covers of your app and conducting perf-audits…"

http://blog.cowchimp.com/
monitoring-unused-css-by-unleashing-the-devtools-protocol/

+03: EVALUATION & TESTING.

Why You Can't Test a Screen Reader (Yet)!

By Rob Dodson.

"When I first started to learn about accessibility I wanted to write
automated tests to ensure that assistive technology devices, like screen
readers, were interpreting my pages correctly…"

http://robdodson.me/why-you-cant-test-a-screen-reader-yet/

Writing Automated Tests for Accessibility

By Marcy Sutton.

In case you missed Marcy's December 13, 2017 article published on the "24
Accessibility" site, it is now published on the Deque site too.

https://www.deque.com/blog/writing-automated-tests-accessibility/

Accessibility Testing, Tools and Workflow (Video)

By Rian Rietveld.

Rian's WordCamp presentation.

https://wordpress.tv/2017/12/07/
rian-rietveld-accessibility-testing-tools-and-workflow/

+04: EVENTS.

Section 508 Refresh and VPAT 2.0 January 18, 2018. Online.
https://register.gotowebinar.com/register/1190517493517232899

Constantly Improving: Creating an Accessible Campus February 8, 2018.
Online.
http://www.3playmedia.com/resources/
webinars/webinar-registration-02-08-2018/

Intro to Audio Description March 15, 2018. Online.
http://www.3playmedia.com/resources/
webinars/webinar-registration-03-15-2018/

IA Summit March 21-25, 2018. Chicago, Illinois, U.S.A.
http://iasummit.org/2018

Accessibility and Inclusion March 25-29, 2018. Mexico City, Mexico
https://cies2018.org/conference-info/accessibility/

An Event Apart Seattle April 2-4, 2018. Seattle, Washington, U.S.A.
https://aneventapart.com/event/seattle-2018

University of Illinois Web Conference April 4-6, 2018. Champaign,
Illinois, U.S.A. http://webcon.illinois.edu/

+05: JAVASCRIPT.

JavaScript Object Explorer

By Sarah Drasner.

"Find the object method you need without digging through the docs."

https://sdras.github.io/object-explorer/

Getting Started with Web Accessibility in React

By Emily Mears.

"…I am going to cover some basic features that React enables and/or
supports, as well as some basic implementations…"

https://medium.com/@emilymears/
getting-started-with-web-accessibility-in-react-9e591fdb0d52

+06: MISCELLANEOUS.

Talking to Léonie Watson About Computer Vision and Blindness

By Peter Gasston.

"I recently had the pleasure of talking to Léonie Watson for a section on
the rehab Tech Talks podcast which I co-present for the company I work
for…"

https://petergasston.co.uk/
talking-to-leonie-watson-about-computer-vision-and-blindness/

Dear Public Speaker… You Lost Me at 'Hello'

By Denis Boudreau.

"…For every 100 people in our audience, we can expect that about 1 out of
every 7 will experience some kind of disability…"

https://medium.com/@dboudreau/dear-public-speaker-you-lost-me-at-hello-d0d86ab92b41

+07: NAVIGATION.

New Years Resolution: Underline Your Links!

By Terrill Thompson.

"…What's wrong with using color as the sole means of identifying links?
First, it's a violation of WCAG 2.0…Second, it forces your users to play
'Spot the Link', which can be a difficult or impossible game to win,
depending on your users' visual acuity, whether they have color blindness,
and current lighting conditions…"

http://terrillthompson.com/blog/830

+08: USABILITY.

Do We Know Anything About UX? (Video)

By Jakob Nielsen.

"Jakob Nielsen discusses how proven heuristics and UX design guidelines
can drive big advances in creating valuable products."

https://www.nngroup.com/videos/know-anything-ux/

Usability: A Part of the User Experience

By Mads Soegaard.

"This subject may seem incredibly 'big' for a single article, but it's
about the specific nature of usability that we often overlook or confuse…"

https://www.interaction-design.org/literature/
article/usability-a-part-of-the-user-experience

A Very Useful Work of Fiction - Mental Models in Design

By Interaction Design Foundation.

"Mental models play an important role in Human-Computer Interaction (HCI)
and interaction design…"

https://www.interaction-design.org/literature/article/
a-very-useful-work-of-fiction-mental-models-in-design

9 Questions that Could Change UX in 2018

By UX Design.

"Every year, we at uxdesign.cc look back at what designers have been
writing, sharing, and thinking about when it comes to User Experience…"

https://thenextweb.com/syndication/2017/12/20/9-questions-change-ux-2018/

[Section one ends.]

++ SECTION TWO:

Accessibility Information.

Association Information.

Book Listings.

Cascading Style Sheets Information.

Color Information.

Drupal Information.

Evaluation & Testing Information.

Event Information.

HTML Information.

Information Architecture Information.

JavaScript Information.

Miscellaneous Web Information.

Navigation Information.

PHP Information.

Sites & Blogs Listing.

Tool Information.

Typography Information.

Usability Information.

XML Information.

[Section two ends.]

++END NOTES.

+ SUBSCRIPTION INFO.

WEB DESIGN UPDATE is available by subscription. For information on how to
subscribe and unsubscribe please visit:

+ TEXT EMAIL NEWSLETTER (TEN).

Until next time,

Laura L. Carlson