[webdev] Web Design Update: January 25, 2018

[webdev] Web Design Update: January 25, 2018

*

*

Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2018 05:58:51 -0600
From: Laura Carlson <[hidden email]>
To: webdev <[hidden email]>
Subject: [webdev] Web Design Update: January 25, 2018

+++ WEB DESIGN UPDATE.

- Volume 16, Issue 31, January 25, 2018.

An email newsletter to distribute news and information about web design and development.

++ISSUE 31 CONTENTS.

SECTION ONE: New references.

New links in these categories:

01: ACCESSIBILITY.

02: CASCADING STYLE SHEETS.

03: EVALUATION & TESTING.

04: EVENTS.

05: HTML.

06: INFORMATION ARCHITECTURE.

07: JAVASCRIPT.

08: MISCELLANEOUS.

09: USABILITY.

SECTION TWO:

[Contents ends.]

++ SECTION ONE: New references.

+01: ACCESSIBILITY.

Headings and Labels

By Eric A. Meyer.

"Following on my last two posts about accessibility improvements to
meyerweb, I've made two more adjustments: better heading levels and added
ARIA labels…"

https://meyerweb.com/eric/thoughts/2018/01/18/headings-and-labels/

Can You Caption 360° Video, Virtual Reality, and 3D Video?

By Sofia Enamorado.

"…With 3D video, adding captions is very straightforward. First, get your
video captioned. Next…"

http://www.3playmedia.com/2018/01/18/
can-you-caption-360-video-virtual-reality-and-3d-vid
eo/

Websites, Not Assistive Tech, Are Key to Accessibility, Say Screen-Reader
Users

By Tristan Parker.

"New research into screen-reader usage has revealed the majority of users
feel that improving existing websites would have a bigger impact on
accessibility compared to better assistive technology…"

http://www.headstar.com/eablive/?p=1450

Accessibility Lists of Lists

By Mike Gifford.

https://github.com/mgifford/a11y-lists-of-lists/blob/master/README.md

Five Ways in Which Artificial Intelligence Changes the Face of Web
Accessibility

By Denis Boudreau.

In case you missed it, here is Denis' December 6th 24a11y article.

https://www.deque.com/blog/
ways-artificial-intelligence-face-web-accessibility/

Burger King Class Action Says Fast Food Chain's Website Violates ADA

By Anne Bucher.

"Burger King Corp. has been hit with a class action lawsuit filed by a
visually-impaired woman who claims the fast food restaurant's website is
not fully accessible and independently usable by the plaintiff and other
visually-impaired individuals…"

https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit-settlements/lawsuit-news/
831860-burger-king-class-action-says-fast-food-
chains-website-violates-ada/

+02: CASCADING STYLE SHEETS.

Layout Land (YouTube Channel)

By Jen Simmons.

A new video channel provides information on CSS Grid and layout.

https://www.youtube.com/c/layoutland

CSS GRID

By cssgrid.io.

"Learn CSS Grid with Wes Bos in 25 pretty good videos. From fundamentals
to Real World in about 4 hours."

https://cssgrid.io/

Finding Dead CSS

By Harry Roberts.

"During a performance workshop I was running this week, I was reminded of
a technique for finding dead CSS on a live site…"

https://csswizardry.com/2018/01/finding-dead-css/

+03: EVALUATION & TESTING.

Writing Tasks for Quantitative and Qualitative Usability Studies

By Kate Meyer.

"All usability studies involve asking participants to perform tasks, but
the correct way to write those tasks depends on the methodology you're
using. Good quantitative tasks are concrete and focused, while good
qualitative tasks are open-ended, flexible, and exploratory."

https://www.nngroup.com/articles/test-tasks-quant-qualitative/

8 Ways to Minimize No Shows in UX Research

By Jeff Sauro.

"…We've been conducting studies every week at MeasuringU for years and
have implemented several steps to get no-show rates down to 0. Here are
eight of them…"

https://measuringu.com/no-show/

+04: EVENTS.

Get The 411 on Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) v2.1 January
29, 2018. San Francisco, Califorina, U.S.A.
https://www.meetup.com/a11ybay/events/246856968/

WCAG 2.0 - Understandable and Robust February 7, 2018. Chicago, Illinois,
U.S.A. https://www.meetup.com/a11ychi/events/233845838/

Bringing CSS and SVG Back into the Accessibility Spotlight February 21,
2018. Online.
http://www.accessibilityassociation.org/content.asp?admin=Y&contentid=526

Accessibility Clinic February 28, 2018. Chicago, Illinois, U.S.A.
https://www.meetup.com/a11ychi/events/245151774/

#PerfMatters Conference March 27-28, 2018. Redwood City, Califorina,
U.S.A. http://PerfMattersConf.com/

+05: HTML.

What's New in HTML 5.2?

By Jake Bresnehan.

"…In HTML 5.2, there were a number of additions and removals, all of which
can be seen on the official HTML 5.2 Changes page. In this article, I'll
go over some of the changes I think will impact my development the most…"

http://email.jakebresnehan.com/t/r-l-jrhrntd-xiydriydk-b/

+06: INFORMATION ARCHITECTURE.

Are You Approaching Prototyping All Wrong?

By Paul Boag.

"Too often our prototypes are constrained by politics, legacy technology,
and company culture…"

http://boagworld.com/usability/approaching-prototyping-wrong/

+07: JAVASCRIPT.

8 Sites That Work Just Fine Without JS, Thank You

By Ezequiel Bruni.

"…just wanted to show people what could be done. That's it. I'm not saying
you should ditch JS entirely, but I do believe that we should be a lot
more considered about what we do and don't implement in JavaScript…"

https://www.webdesignerdepot.com/2018/01/
8-sites-that-work-just-fine-without-js-thank-you
/

aria-expanded Does Not Require a Fallback

By Hidde de Vries.

"When building a control that toggles content in a web app, we can use
aria-expanded to let the control know whether the content is shown or
hidden…"

https://hiddedevries.nl/en/blog/
2018-01-22-aria-expanded-does-not-require-a-fallback

Radically Accessible Internet Applications (Video)

By Marcy Sutton.

Marcy's Beyond Tellerrand presentation.

https://vimeo.com/251520898

+08: MISCELLANEOUS.

The Compact Guide to Web Maintainability: 200 Tips and Resources

By Jens Oliver Meiert.

"Half a year ago I was happy to work with A List Apart to ask our field a
few questions about maintainability…"

https://meiert.com/en/blog/maintainability-guide-2/

Handle Bad UX Requests Without Saying No

By Garrett Goldfield.

"UX professionals often receive poorly defined design requests. When
saying no is not an option, a more productive way of addressing the
request is to focus on the outcome goals and the Return On Investment
(ROI) of proper UX effort."

https://www.nngroup.com/videos/handle-bad-ux-requests/

+09: USABILITY.

Captchas Have an 8% Failure Rate, and 29% if Case Sensitive

By Edward Scott.

"…In this article, we'll discuss the test findings from our checkout
usability study related to CAPTCHAs…this article covers CAPTCHAs from an
e-commerce angle specifically…"

https://baymard.com/blog/captchas-in-checkout

Three Takeaways from the Hawai'i Missile False Alarm

By Dylan Wilbanks.

"…It's not about UI. It is absolutely about people."

http://www.uxbooth.com/articles/
three-takeaways-from-the-hawaii-missile-false-alarm/

What Healthcare.gov Has To Do With the Hawaii False Alarm - and What to Do
About It

By Erie Meyer.

"By now, you've heard of the Hawaii False Alarm, and about the blowback
and blame as people try to sort out how this could have happened…"

https://medium.com/code-for-america/what-healthcare-gov-has-to-do-with-
the-hawaii-false-alarm-and-what-to-do-about-it-445cb2b7af82

What the Erroneous Hawaiian Missile Alert Can Teach Us About Error
Prevention

By Kim Flaherty.

"People should not be blamed for errors caused by poorly designed
systems."

https://www.nngroup.com/articles/error-prevention/

Bad Design Caused Hawaii Missile False Alarm

By Craig Tomlin.

"When it comes to UX Design we can all learn from mistakes, or be doomed
to repeat history over and over again…"

http://www.usefulusability.com/
bad-design-caused-hawaii-missile-false-alarm

Organize Around the Customer Task

By Gerry McGovern.

"…the greatest challenge all organizations face is to organize around the
customer. Those that don't will not survive…"

http://gerrymcgovern.com/organize-around-the-customer-task/

The King vs. Pawn Game of UI Design

By Erik Kennedy.

"If you want to improve your UI design skills, try looking at chess.
Sounds contrived, maybe, but in Erik Kennedy's hands, it's sublime. Marvel
and learn as he uses a concept from chess to build a toolkit of UI design
strategies covering color, typography, lighting and shadows, and more."

http://alistapart.com/article/the-king-vs-pawn-game-of-ui-design

[Section one ends.]

++ SECTION TWO:

Accessibility Information.

Association Information.

Book Listings.

Cascading Style Sheets Information.

Color Information.

Drupal Information.

Evaluation & Testing Information.

Event Information.

HTML Information.

Information Architecture Information.

JavaScript Information.

Miscellaneous Web Information.

Navigation Information.

PHP Information.

Sites & Blogs Listing.

Tool Information.

Typography Information.

Usability Information.

XML Information.

[Section two ends.]

++END NOTES.

+ SUBSCRIPTION INFO.

WEB DESIGN UPDATE is available by subscription. For information on how to
subscribe and unsubscribe please visit:

+ TEXT EMAIL NEWSLETTER (TEN).

As a navigation aid for screen readers we do our best to conform to the
accessible Text Email Newsletter (TEN) guidelines. Please let me know if
there is anything else we can do to make navigation easier. For TEN
guideline information please visit:

http://www.headstar.com/ten

+ SIGN OFF.

Until next time,