[socialpsy-teach] TSP Newsletter - Vol. 17, No. 7

[socialpsy-teach] TSP Newsletter - Vol. 17, No. 7

Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2018 18:23:35 +0000
From: Jon F Mueller <[hidden email]>
To: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>
Subject: [socialpsy-teach] TSP Newsletter - Vol. 17, No. 7

Teaching Social Psychology Newsletter

Vol. 17, No. 7

March 27, 2018

the e-mail newsletter accompanying the
Resources for the Teaching of Social Psychology website at
http://jfmueller.faculty.noctrl.edu/crow

First, I must be a proud papa and brag a little about my daughter, Lisa.
She appeared on the game show Jeopardy! this month and came away a
two-time champion!  Jeopardy gave her the nickname Lisa “Let’s bet it all”
Mueller because when she found daily doubles she would usually “bet it
all” and win!  You can see a brief compilation of conversations between
her and the host Alex Trebek and a couple of her daily doubles here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cq6MerXTt4w

The full episodes are on YouTube for you bigger Jeopardy! fans.

Activities and Exercises

Gender & Culture:  Picture a leader.  Is she a woman?

https://www.psychologicalscience.org/news/picture-a-leader-is-she-a-woman.html

A good class question and accompanying article

Social Judgment:  Facial recognition

https://www.psychologicalscience.org/observer/teaching-current-directions-in-psychological-science-46#fac

Articles

Group Influence:  “Why and when hierarchy impacts team effectiveness”

https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=3069867

Class Assignments

General: Group work

https://lse.ascb.org/evidence-based-teaching-guides/group-work

A very nice evidence-based overview of how to effectively conduct group work in your courses

Examples

Aggression/Prejudice: Dehumanization

https://theintercept.com/2018/03/06/why-do-u-s-politicians-think-killing-millions-of-koreans-would-be-wor
th-it/

Why is it okay to kill millions of humans “over there”?

Conflict & Peacemaking/Conformity/Persuasion: Tragedy of the Commons, use of norms, fear appeals, and more

https://community.macmillan.com/community/the-psychology-community/blog/2018/02/17/persuading-people-in-p
eril-the-cape-town-experiment

Subscriber David Myers shares this example from Cape Town’s severe water shortage and its efforts to
encourage citizens to conserve.

Prejudice:  Influence of family

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/facebook-videos-mosque-vandalism-women-children_us_5aa9a121e4b0600b8
2ffe195

Video of a mom modeling anti-Islam bias in front of children

Topic Resources

Aggression:  Video games and aggression in kids

https://www.psychologicalscience.org/topics/video-games-and-violence

Once of those most hotly debated topics in psychology is whether video games affect kids’ behavior,
particularly aggressive behavior.  Here are a few articles from APS on the topic.

Attitudes & Behavior/Methods: “How to access Pew Resource Center survey data”

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2018/03/09/how-to-access-pew-research-center-survey-data/

A brief description of how you and your students can access datasets from Pew for a variety of uses

Attraction & Relationships: Couples who diet (or don’t) together…

http://www.scienceofrelationships.com/home/2018/3/8/the-couple-who-diets-together-how-your-partner-influe
nces-yo.html

… can still see a benefit for the partner even if the other partner is not trying to diet.

Attraction & Relationships: 28 humorous tweets about marriage

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/really-funny-marriage-tweets_us_5ab554d4e4b008c9e5f72c67

Conformity:  Bad behavior by others leads us to want to restore social order

http://keenetrial.com/blog/2018/03/01/been-buying-different-products-lately-maybe-you-are-witnessing-too-
much-immoral-behavior/

… by buying more popular brands of food!

Conformity: Another replication of Milgram’s obedience studies

https://www.spring.org.uk/2017/03/controversial-psych-study.php

This time in Poland, with similar results

Gender & Culture: “Nearly 1 in 4 men worldwide think it’s fine for bosses to expect sex from an employee”

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/care-sex-harassment-poll_us_5aa22282e4b086698a9c34c4

Wow.

Gender & Culture: “Kids draw female scientists more often than they did decades ago”

https://tinyurl.com/y7lxpsnf

But their pictures of a “stereotypical” scientist still look quite similar.

Gender & Culture: “Frida Kahlo and other historic women are being made into Barbies”

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/amelia-earhart-frida-kahlo-katherine-johnson-barbies_us_5a9dac8ee4b0
89ec353dd02b

My daughter got the Frida Kahlo question right on Jeopardy.  Just saying.

Group Influence:  Testosterone and diversity in group performance

https://www.psychologicalscience.org/news/minds-business/testosterone-on-the-team.html

Interestingly, this research found that teams with high levels of testosterone work better with low
diversity among its member, while the opposite is true for low-testosterone teams.

 Prejudice:  What does the public think of the Implicit Association Test (IAT)

https://digest.bps.org.uk/2018/03/15/what-do-the-public-make-of-the-implicit-association-test-and-being-t
old-they-are-subconsciously-racist/

As I mentioned in the last issue, the IAT is celebrating its 20th anniversary.  Here is some research
looking at the public’s perception of it and its results.

Prejudice:  National Geographic:  “Our coverage was racist”

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/national-geographic-racist-coverage_us_5aa8f433e4b018e2f1c32b0f

National Geographic invited a researcher to analyze its content since it began in 1888.

Prejudice:  Psychologists begin to build a profile of alt-right supporters

https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2017/8/15/16144070/psychology-alt-right

Prejudice: Why are Black students punished more often than White students?

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/18/us/politics/school-discipline-disparities-white-black-students.html?sm
id=tw-nytpolitics&amp;smtyp=cur

Minnesota looks at this question.

Social Judgment: “Unsuccessful mass replication of the professor prime effect”

https://digest.bps.org.uk/2018/03/26/sorry-but-imagining-youre-a-professor-wont-make-your-smarter-an-unsu
ccessful-mass-replication-of-the-professor-prime-effect/

The original study found that if you imagined you were a college professor, rather than a “hooligan,” you
would perform better on a subsequent trivia test.  The unsuccessful replication means it’s a good day for
hooligans.

Social Judgment: “Experimenters’ expectations may shape priming results”

https://www.psychologicalscience.org/observer/experimenters-expectations-may-shape-priming-results

What happens when a priming study uses or does not use double-blind methodology?  These researchers test
it out.

Social Judgment:  “Watching others make people overconfident in their own abilities”

https://www.psychologicalscience.org/news/releases/watching-others-makes-people-overconfident-in-their-ow
n-abilities.html

Social Judgment:  People tend to rate things more positively over time because it becomes easier to rate
them

https://www.psychologicalscience.org/news/releases/ratings-rise-over-time-because-they-feel-easier-to-mak
e.html

and not necessarily because they are better

The Self:  People want to be compared with self, not others, in performance reviews

https://hbr.org/2018/03/people-dont-want-to-be-compared-with-others-in-performance-reviews-they-want-to-b
e-compared-with-themselves

The Self: “Why Denmark dominates the World Happiness Report rankings year after year”

https://theconversation.com/why-denmark-dominates-the-world-happiness-report-rankings-year-after-year-935
42

Technology in Teaching

Audio

Attraction & Relationships:  Anticipating change in the relationship and relationship quality

http://www.scienceofrelationships.com/home/2018/3/15/anticipating-change-and-relationship-quality-relatio
nship-ma.html

A podcast from Science of Relationships

Video

Methods:  Writing good survey questions (5:27)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=180&v=eFzGdQrr2K8

A good overview from the Pew Research Center

Prejudice:  Is this new Heineken beer ad racist? (0:30)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_u_-OD1_z0

“Lighter is better.”

How Do You ... ?

Ever wonder how your fellow social psych instructors handle a certain topic or issue in their courses?
Then send me your "How Do You..?" question and I will try and post it here. If I get some answers I will
post them in the following issue.

Request Line is Open!

Yes, I take requests; in fact, I encourage them. Are there particular types of resources you would like
examples of? Particular topics you are interested in? Teaching tips? Technology tips? I want to tailor
this newsletter to your needs. So, please feel free to send me your requests, suggestions, comments and
resources. Send them directly to me ([hidden email]) or by replying to this message.

The Teaching Social Psychology Newsletter is published monthly (hopefully) by

Jon Mueller
Professor of Psychology
30 North Brainard St.
North Central College
Naperville, IL 60540
[hidden email]
http://jfmueller.faculty.noctrl.edu

Copyright, Jon Mueller 2001-2018.

You are welcome to share part or all of this newsletter with anyone you like for non-commercial purposes.
Please pass it along to others who you think might find it useful.

How to subscribe to the Newsletter:
Go to https://lists.noctrl.edu/sympa/subscribe/socialpsy-teach

How to view past issues of the Newsletter:
Go to https://lists.noctrl.edu/sympa/arc/socialpsy-teach

-- Jon Mueller

Professor of Psychology

North Central College