[socialpsy-teach] TSP Newsletter - Vol. 17, No. 5

[socialpsy-teach] TSP Newsletter - Vol. 17, No. 5

Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2018 18:13:06 +0000
From: Jon F Mueller <[hidden email]>
To: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>
Subject: [socialpsy-teach] TSP Newsletter - Vol.  17, No. 5

Teaching Social Psychology Newsletter

Vol. 17, No. 5

January 30, 2018

the e-mail newsletter accompanying the
Resources for the Teaching of Social Psychology website at
http://jfmueller.faculty.noctrl.edu/crow

Activities and Exercises

Attitudes & Behavior:  Cognitive Dissonance

http://highered.mheducation.com/sites/0078035295/student_view0/online_learning_center
0/chapter4/interactivities.html

An online, interactive activity – good practice for your students outside of class –
but it can also be turned into an in-class activity

General:  Review activity for social psychology

http://teachinghighschoolpsychology.blogspot.com/2018/01/social-psych-review-activity
.html#sthash.kNucHVSY.dpbs

General:  Why sleep deprivation also hurts our social processes

https://www.psychologicalscience.org/observer/teaching-current-directions-in-psycholo
gical-science-44#social

Group Influence:  Thinking about groups

http://highered.mheducation.com/sites/0078035295/student_view0/online_learning_center
0/chapter8/interactivities.html

An online, interactive activity

Persuasion: The tools of compliance

http://highered.mheducation.com/sites/0078035295/student_view0/online_learning_center
0/chapter7/interactivities.html

An online, interactive activity

Articles and Books

The Self: Handbook of Well-being

http://www.nobascholar.com/books/1

A freely-available, new book through Noba Scholar

Examples

Attraction & Relationships:  Physical proximity (propinquity)

http://www.scienceofrelationships.com/home/2018/1/24/why-do-co-stars-fall-in-love.htm

Why do co-stars fall in love, this blog entry asks?

Prejudice:  Overt racism from police official

http://www.wdrb.com/story/37305301/prospect-assistant-police-chief-told-lmpd-recruit-
to-shoot-black-people

Very disturbing

Prejudice:  Institutional racism

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/01/15/opinion/leonhardt-trump-racist.html?_r
=0

As some media outlets are tracking the lies of President Trump, others are tracking
evidence of racism, past and present.

Topic Resources

Aggression: “Australia launches anti-bullying campaign after former child model
commits suicide”

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/australia-amy-everett-akubra_us_5a56cb3de4b0a300
f905be4c

Aggression: More problems with the concept of microaggressions?

https://digest.bps.org.uk/2018/01/12/new-findings-pose-more-problems-for-the-embattle
d-concept-of-the-microaggression/

Can they only be directed at minorities/victims or can those in the majority/superior
groups also feel them?  Is it still a “microaggression”?

Aggression:  The case of Aziz Ansari

https://thinkprogress.org/aziz-ansari-consent-5da97aea675c/

This is one of many essays about responses to an accusation of inappropriate sexual
behavior from comedian/actor/writer Aziz Ansari and how it informs the ongoing
conversation on the topic.

Attraction & Relationships:  Ahh, the name game

http://www.scienceofrelationships.com/home/2018/1/15/explaining-royal-love-prince-har
ry-and-the-allure-of-implici.html

This blog entry looks at implicit egotism in our desire for people (and things) that
share the initials of our own names.  Even Prince Harry.

Attraction & Relationships:  “The IQ score people say is most attractive”

http://www.spring.org.uk/2018/01/iq-attractive.php

120, according to this research.  I’ve got to shave off a few points.  Off to watch
The Bachelor! No wait, even better, the State of the Union address is tonight.

Attraction & Relationships: “People with low self-esteem really do have less
responsive partners”

https://digest.bps.org.uk/2018/01/25/its-not-all-in-their-heads-people-with-low-self-
esteem-really-do-have-less-responsive-partners/

Gender & Culture: Tehran women no longer to be punished for non-Islamic dress

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/tehran-women-dress-code_us_5a450ae9e4b0b0e5a7a50
adb?ncid=inblnkushpmg00000009

Persuasion:  Is the backfire effect real?

https://mindhacks.com/2018/01/03/the-backfire-effect-is-elusive/

This blog entry discusses a large replication effort that failed to find evidence of
the backfire effect, the phenomenon of a person’s false belief strengthening rather
than weakening in the face of correcting information.

Persuasion: Can openness to other viewpoints be increased?

https://digest.bps.org.uk/2018/01/23/something-we-could-use-a-little-more-of-studies-
link-intellectual-humility-with-openness-to-other-viewpoints/#more-33080

Perhaps by increasing a person’s intellectual humility, according to this research

Persuasion:  Associating beer brands with college cues

https://www.psychologicalscience.org/news/releases/college-branding-makes-beer-more-s
alient-to-underage-students.html

Can branding beers with the colors of your school, or other cues, make you feel more
positive about, and safe with, that brand?

Prejudice:  Role models for coming out

http://spsp.org/news-center/blog/coming-out-vis-a-vis-symbols

Good, brief essay about the value of role models to help teens deal with sexual
identity

Prejudice: “The Japanese American Evacuation and Resettlement”

http://bancroft.berkeley.edu/collections/jacs/index.html

A large digital collection of articles, maps, photographs, audio, video, and more from
The Bancroft Library

Prejudice:  Are we less tolerant of mistakes by minorities?

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/muslim-women-advertising_us_5a677d38e4b0dc592a0d
4f0b

Here’s an example from advertising.

Prejudice:  Racial misappropriation

http://www.everydaysociologyblog.com/2018/01/the-malfunction-heard-around-the-world-c
ultural-appropriation-white-privilege-and-misogynoir.html

Interesting essay on the topic, and timely for the upcoming Super Bowl

Prejudice:  Poverty and segregation continues in U.S. schools

https://www.apnews.com/b9913a89da624d17878ba734b95a6d4f?utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_s
ource=Twitter&utm_medium=AP_Politics

Social Judgment: Acquiescing to our intuition

https://www.psychologicalscience.org/publications/observer/obsonline/intuition-may-ov
erpower-probability-in-decision-making.html

What if you recognize that your intuition about a decision is faulty, do you adopt the
more rational choice or do you acquiesce to your intuition?

Technology in Teaching

Images

Persuasion: Vintage ads

http://www.vintageadbrowser.com/

Lots of print ads for a variety of products from the 1800’s on!

Video

Aggression/Gender and Culture:  Difficult dinner conversations

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=260&v=evWiz6WRbCA

Amusing Saturday Night Live skit about trying to talk about sexual abuse/harassment
stories among friends

How Do You ... ?

Ever wonder how your fellow social psych instructors handle a certain topic or issue
in their courses? Then send me your "How Do You..?" question and I will try and post
it here. If I get some answers I will post them in the following issue.

Request Line is Open!

Yes, I take requests; in fact, I encourage them. Are there particular types of
resources you would like examples of? Particular topics you are interested in?
Teaching tips? Technology tips? I want to tailor this newsletter to your needs. So,
please feel free to send me your requests, suggestions, comments and resources. Send
them directly to me ([hidden email]) or by replying to this message.

The Teaching Social Psychology Newsletter is published monthly (hopefully) by

Jon Mueller
Professor of Psychology
30 North Brainard St.
North Central College
Naperville, IL 60540
[hidden email]
http://jfmueller.faculty.noctrl.edu

Copyright, Jon Mueller 2001-2017.

You are welcome to share part or all of this newsletter with anyone you like for
non-commercial purposes. Please pass it along to others who you think might find it
useful.

How to unsubscribe from the Newsletter:
Go to https://lists.noctrl.edu/sympa/signoff/socialpsy-teach

How to change subscription options:
Go to https://lists.noctrl.edu/sympa/suboptions/socialpsy-teach

How to view past issues of the Newsletter:
Go to https://lists.noctrl.edu/sympa/arc/socialpsy-teach

-- Jon Mueller

Professor of Psychology

North Central College