[socialpsy-teach] TSP Newsletter - Vol. 17, No. 1

[socialpsy-teach] TSP Newsletter - Vol. 17, No. 1

Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2017 13:07:11 -0500
From: Jon Mueller <[hidden email]>
To: [hidden email]
Subject: [socialpsy-teach] TSP Newsletter - Vol. 17, No. 1

                                        Teaching Social Psychology Newsletter

                                                   Vol. 17, No. 1

                                                 September 29, 2017

                                       the e-mail newsletter accompanying the
                             Resources for the Teaching of Social Psychology website at
                                      http://jfmueller.faculty.noctrl.edu/crow

I hope your academic year is off to a good start.  Since it is a new year, let me try something new.  If any of you
would like to co-develop with me any of the sections of the newsletter or the website let me know.  That could
include any of the instructional categories such as Activities and Exercises or Technology in Teaching, or it could
include any of the topical categories such as Attraction and Relationships or Conformity.  If you are interested
let me know and we can talk about what that would look like.

Activities and Exercises

          Aggression/The Self:  Why hurting others might feel good

          https://www.psychologicalscience.org/observer/teaching-current-directions-in-psychological-science-40#hu
rtfulness

          http://davidchester.weebly.com/uploads/5/4/1/5/54152559/cdps_posaffectaggression.pdf

          Some possible activities around a recent Current Directions article -- the second link is to the Current
Directions article.

          General: Speed reviewing

          http://teachpsych.org/page-1703896/5031179

          Ziv Bell shared a technique he uses in his courses to help students review material that is based on the
concept of speed dating.  Sometimes he gives them a time limit for each pairing, and sometimes he does not.  He
says it works both ways.

Ziv says, "What I do find helps (and you can feel free to re-word this as you see fit) is (1) for the instructor to
participate as well, (2) to make sure that students have a list of terms/concepts they can review, which could come
from a study guide, the glossary/summary of the book chapter, etc., (3) to have students move to a part of the
classroom they can easily move around, which could be the front or sides of a traditional lecture hall, for
example, and (4) for the instructor to model introducing themselves to another student, asking "Can you tell me
about ..." and saying thank you before parting ways and introducing themselves to another student. I find in a
class of about 60 students this activity works well for between 5-10 minutes."

          Social Judgment: Believing and maintaining misconceptions

          https://www.psychologicalscience.org/observer/teaching-current-directions-in-psychological-science-40#mi
ssion

Examples

          Conflict & Peacemaking: Indian university students suspended/charged for cheering for Pakistani cricket
team

          https://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/07/world/asia/kashmir-students-sedition-cricket.html?mcubz=1&_r=0

          Prejudice: Reducing institutional racism

          http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/air-force-academy-racial-slurs_us_59ce2313e4b05f005d339307?ncid=inbl
nkushpmg00000009

          "In a poignant defense of equality, the United States Air Force Academy's superintendent made it crystal
clear that the institution will not tolerate any form of disrespectful behavior toward someone of another race or
gender."

        The Self:  Reactance

        http://www.scienceofrelationships.com/home/2017/9/29/pumpkin-spice-latte-for-the-soul.html

        What's the allure of pumpkin spice latte this time of year?

Topic Resources

       Aggression: "Can free homes for police officers ... curb violence?"

https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20170210/englewood/free-homes-for-police-officers-firefighters-teachers-neighborho
       od-revitalization-act-richard-boykin-county-commissioner

       Interesting strategy of getting first responders and teachers to live in high-need communities

       Aggression: Many mass shooters are also prone to domestic violence

       https://www.thecut.com/2016/07/mass-killers-terrorism-domestic-violence.html

       Attraction & Relationships: "How self expression replaced love as the most important part of a
       marriage"

       https://www.thecut.com/2017/09/eli-finkel-marriage-book-love-self-expression.html

       Interesting historical essay by subscriber Eli Finkel about the evolution of marriage in the U.S.

       Attraction & Relationships: "After listening to music, females find males more attractive"

       https://psychcentral.com/news/2017/09/18/after-listening-to-music-females-find-males-more-attractive/126189.html

       No effect found for men

       Attraction & Relationships: Pumpkin Spice Latte!

       http://www.scienceofrelationships.com/home/2017/9/29/pumpkin-spice-latte-for-the-soul.html

       What's its connection to relationships?  Grab a warm one and have a read.

       Attraction & Relationships: The importance of interdependence in relationship success

http://www.scienceofrelationships.com/home/2017/9/15/as-strong-as-its-weakest-link-how-your-partners-chain-of-eve.
       html

       Conflict & Peacemaking:  "Cooperation driven by reciprocity, not conformity"

       https://www.psychologicalscience.org/news/releases/cooperation-driven-by-reciprocity-not-conformity.html

       "New research suggests that reciprocity - cooperation under the assumption that we will receive
       benefits in return - outweighs our desire to conform with group norms when we are deciding whether to
       cooperate with someone."

       Conflict & Peacemaking/Prejudice: Who names a group?  Who generates its euphemisms?

       http://www.everydaysociologyblog.com/2017/09/the-nuances-of-naming.html

       Alt-right.  Alt-left.  Social Psychologists.  This interesting blog entry discusses the sociology of
       group naming.

       Gender & Culture:  What if women talked about men...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/twitter-thread-historical-male-figures-satire_us_59ab74d3e4b0354e440ad8fe?ncid
       =inblnkushpmg00000009

       the way men have historically talked about women?  This hilarious twitter feed suggests what that might
       look like.

       Gender & Culture: "Saudi Arabia lifts ban on women driving"

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/saudi-arabia-lifts-ban-on-women-driving_us_59caa485e4b0964242bbc7c3?ncid=inbln
       kushpmg00000009

       Gender & Culture: "Women know better than men what other women are thinking and feeling"

       https://digest.bps.org.uk/2017/09/18/women-know-better-than-men-what-other-women-are-thinking-and-feeling/

       Helping/Prejudice/Psychology in the Courtroom: "Preventing police misconduct"

       http://www.apamonitor-digital.org/apamonitor/201710/MobilePagedReplica.action?pm=2&folio=30#pg33

       http://wesa.fm/post/meet-man-helping-pittsburgh-police-confront-their-racial-biases#stream/0

       Here is a good article in the APA Monitor describing the application of social psychological research
       to the New Orleans police force.  The second link is to an interview of someone who is similarly
       applying social psych research to help the "Pittsburgh police confront their racial biases."  It is a
       testament to these two men that they can manage their emotions well enough to work on such challenging
       problems.  (I'm trying to get in on the above twitter thread.)

       Persuasion: Debunking fake news

       https://psmag.com/news/the-trick-to-debunking-fake-news

       Some more discussion of what research suggests might or might not work

       Persuasion: The underestimation-of-compliance effect

       http://keenetrial.com/blog/2017/09/13/the-underestimation-of-compliance-effect-get-up-and-move/

       Did you know that you are 34 times more persuasive face-to-face than via email?  Don't be surprised if
       I show up at your office to deliver the next newsletter!  I wish.

       Prejudice: "Institutional racism is clearly Trump's goal"

http://www.azcentral.com/story/opinion/editorial/2017/08/25/donald-trump-resurrects-joe-arpaio-irrelevance/6040670
       01/

       The Arizona Republic published an editorial about President Trump's pardon of sheriff Joe Arpaio in
       which it argues that Trump is elevating institutional racism above racial justice.

       Prejudice: "Calling out White supremacy comes with consequences for Black folks"

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/calling-out-white-supremacy-is-a-costly-consequence-for-black-folks_us_59ba985
       1e4b086432b04e923?ncid=inblnkushpmg00000009

https://theintercept.com/2017/09/26/nfl-national-anthem-pittsburgh-steelers-mike-tomlin-pennsylvania-fire-chief-do
       nald-trump/

       As it always has.  The second link is to an essay about a Pennsylvania fire chief tweeting that
       Pittsburgh Steelers' head coach, by allowing his team to stay in the locker room during the national
       anthem, had "just added himself to the list of no-good n*****s."

       Prejudice: "Wage gap between Blacks and Whites is larger today than it was 40 years ago"

       https://thinkprogress.org/black-americans-face-discrimination-in-hiring-process-fbbd601a0896/

       Prejudice: In new poll, about one-third of Americans oppose interracial marriage

http://www.centerforpolitics.org/crystalball/articles/new-poll-some-americans-express-troubling-racial-attitudes-e
       ven-as-majority-oppose-white-supremacists/

       Quite a few other troubling findings

       Prejudice:  "Black Lives Matter and America's long history of resisting civil rights protesters"

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2016/04/19/black-lives-matters-and-americas-long-history-of-resisti
       ng-civil-rights-protesters/?utm_term=.46f0819af69b

       An article in the Washington Post -- it includes some interesting polling data from the 1960's in
       America.

       Prejudice:  The first White President

       https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2017/10/the-first-white-president-ta-nehisi-coates/537909/

       Interesting essay on why this author considers Trump as the first White President

       Prejudice/Psychology in the Courtroom: "Killings of Blacks by Whites are more likely to be ruled
       'justifiable'"

       http://keenetrial.com/blog/2017/09/01/killings-of-blacks-by-whites-are-more-likely-to-be-ruled-justifiable/

       The study that looked at over 400,000 murders that did not include police shootings.

       Psychology in the Courtroom:  Will jurors use genetic background of defendants to lessen their guilt or
       sentence?

https://digest.bps.org.uk/2017/09/29/mock-jury-study-will-behavioral-genetic-evidence-get-defendants-off-the-hook/
       Some of the first research to look at this question

       Psychology in the Courtroom/Social Judgment: Liars, lies, and lying

       http://keenetrial.com/blog/2017/09/20/an-update-on-liars-lies-and-lying-most-of-us-lie-routinely/

       Summary of a few studies

       Social Judgment: Does increase in testosterone spur more Type 1 (quick, intuitive) thinking?

       https://digest.bps.org.uk/2017/09/07/how-short-term-increases-in-testosterone-change-mens-thinking-style/

       interesting test of this question

       The Self: "For conspiracy theorists, the more obscure a theory...

       https://digest.bps.org.uk/2017/09/01/believing-widely-doubted-conspiracy-theories-makes-some-people-feel-special/

       the more appealing it becomes, satisfying their 'need for uniqueness.'"

       The Self: Markers of our identity

       http://www.everydaysociologyblog.com/2017/09/getting-a-ride-transportation-and-identity.html

       What does your car say about you?  What does not having a car or even a driver's license say about you?

Technology in Teaching

       Video

         Prejudice: Boiler Video Project

         http://www.purdue.edu/diversity-inclusion/dta_projects/resources/index.html

         The Division of Diversity and Inclusion at Purdue University has created a series of videos that can be
used to promote positive engagement around difficult topics on diversity and inclusion.  Talking points are also
included.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

How Do You ... ?

       Ever wonder how your fellow social psych instructors handle a certain topic or issue in their courses?
       Then send me your "How Do You..?" question and I will try and post it here. If I get some answers I
       will post them in the following issue.

Request Line is Open!

       Yes, I take requests; in fact, I encourage them. Are there particular types of resources you would like
       examples of? Particular topics you are interested in? Teaching tips? Technology tips? I want to tailor
       this newsletter to your needs. So, please feel free to send me your requests, suggestions, comments and
       resources. Send them directly to me ([hidden email]) or by replying to this message.

The Teaching Social Psychology Newsletter is published monthly (hopefully) by

Jon Mueller

Professor of Psychology

30 North Brainard St.

North Central College

Naperville, IL 60540

[hidden email]

http://jfmueller.faculty.noctrl.edu

Copyright, Jon Mueller 2001-2017.

You are welcome to share part or all of this newsletter with anyone you like for non-commercial purposes. Please
pass it along to others who you think might find it useful.

How to view past issues of the Newsletter:
Go to https://lists.noctrl.edu/sympa/arc/socialpsy-teach

Jon Mueller

Professor of Psychology

North Central College