[socialpsy-teach] TSP Newsletter - Vol. 16, No. 9 (fwd)

[socialpsy-teach] TSP Newsletter - Vol. 16, No. 9 (fwd)

Date: Wed, 31 May 2017 11:18:47 -0500
From: Jon Mueller <[hidden email]>
To: [hidden email]
Subject: [socialpsy-teach] TSP Newsletter - Vol. 16, No. 9

                                            Teaching Social Psychology Newsletter

                                                        Vol. 16, No. 9

                                                         May 31, 2017

                                            the e-mail newsletter accompanying the
                                  Resources for the Teaching of Social Psychology website at
                                           http://jfmueller.faculty.noctrl.edu/crow

Activities and Exercises

       Social Judgment:  To err is human (or so I'm told)

       https://www.psychologicalscience.org/observer/teaching-current-directions-in-psychological-science-39#err

       This blog entry from subscriber David Myers discusses some common errors of judgment we make and how to discuss
       them with your students.

Class Assignments

          Conflict & Peacemaking/Social Judgment

          https://community.macmillan.com/community/the-english-community/bedford-bits/blog/2017/04/27/assignments-in-a-pos
t-fact-world

          A small collection of assignments instructors created to teach students to be more receptive to the views of
others, and to be able to distinguish fact from fake news

Examples

          Social Judgment: Inattentional/change blindness

          http://www.gocomics.com/betty/2017/5/14

          A cartoon

Topic Resources

       Aggression: "What bullets do to bodies"

       http://highline.huffingtonpost.com/articles/en/gun-violence/

       In part, our inhibitions to aggression are lowered because we don't see the full consequences of violence.  This
       article describes the often unknown effects of bullets.

       Attraction & Relationships:  Does more sex go with a better relationship?

       http://www.scienceofrelationships.com/home/2017/5/3/more-sex-and-happy-relationships-its-automatic.html

       It may depend if you ask explicitly or implicitly.

       Conflict & Peacemaking:  Us vs. Them and terrorism

       https://theintercept.com/2017/05/13/misunderstanding-terrorism-how-the-us-vs-them-mentality-will-never-stop-attacks/

       Another good essay on how framing the world as us versus them does not help address terrorism

       Conformity: New Milgram replication: 90% of Polish participants willing to deliver highest shock

https://digest.bps.org.uk/2017/05/05/new-milgram-replication-finds-90-per-cent-of-polish-participants-willing-to-deliver-hi
       ghest-shock/

       Gender & Culture: The Global Gender Gap Report

       http://projects.two-n.com/world-gender/

       An annual report from the World Economic Forum -- scroll down the page for some very interesting graphics

       Gender & Culture: Female Supreme Court Justices interrupted more by their male colleagues

       https://community.macmillan.com/community/the-psychology-community/blog/2017/04/27/women-interrupted

       I know, hard to believe

       General:  Is social psychology research really in that bad of shape?

https://digest.bps.org.uk/2017/05/25/was-the-crisis-in-social-psychology-really-that-bad-have-things-improved-part-one-the-
       researchers-perspective/

https://digest.bps.org.uk/2017/05/26/is-something-rotten-in-the-state-of-social-psychology-part-two-digging-through-the-pas
       t/

       This two part essay reviews recent efforts to examine the "crisis" in social psychology and personality research
       in terms of failed replications and questionable research practices.  The second link is to part two of this
       essay.

       Helping: Cruel to be kind

https://www.psychologicalscience.org/news/releases/making-people-feel-bad-can-be-a-strategy-for-helping-them.html#.WSsSf8m1
       tuV

       https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0l3QWUXVho

       Recent research suggests that making someone feel negative emotions can be beneficial to them in the long run.
        Oh, and the second link is to some classic rock!

       Helping: "Pressuring employees to be do-gooders can backfire badly"

       https://digest.bps.org.uk/2017/05/11/pressuring-employees-to-be-do-gooders-can-backfire-badly/

       Prejudice: Court in Taiwan rules in favor of same-sex marriage

       http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/taiwan-marriage-equality_us_59257b16e4b0ec129d3100c7?sg&ncid=inblnkushpmg00000009

       Could be first such approval in Asia

       Prejudice: Police: Blacks not wanted in suburban U.S.

       https://www.buzzfeed.com/albertsamaha/policing-and-race-in-troy-new-york?utm_term=.ldwDW4BNE#.uae3ArwNj

       Buzzfeed reports that "The result is a combustible mix: a white population anxious about its new black
       neighbors, and a white police force unprepared and ill-equipped to handle the thickening racial tensions."

       Prejudice: "New study shines light on how to 'make it better' for queer youth"

       https://thinkprogress.org/new-study-shines-light-on-how-to-make-it-better-for-queer-youth-30ac7f23ddc6

       Prejudice: 99% of students handcuffed in school were Black or LatinX

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/99-of-students-handcuffed-in-school-by-nypd-were-black-or-hispanic_us_5913332ae4b0a5829
       7e17224?ncid=engmodushpmg00000004

       By the NYPD

       Psychology in the Courtroom:  Best expert witness:  Nerdy or attractive?

http://keenetrial.com/blog/2017/05/31/your-best-bet-for-an-expert-witness-is-a-friendly-nerd-rather-than-an-attractive-pers
       on/

       Interesting research found across a few studies that "when judging whether a researcher does 'good science,'
       people again preferred scientists who look competent and moral, but also favored less sociable and more
       physically unattractive individuals."

       Psychology in the Courtroom/Social Judgment:  An update on lying and lying research

       http://keenetrial.com/blog/2017/05/05/lies-lies-and-more-lies-an-update-on-deception-research/

       Social Judgment:  Do you have RBF (Resting Bitch Face)?

       http://keenetrial.com/blog/2017/05/15/resting-bitch-face-rbf-it-does-not-mean-what-you-often-think-it-means/

       The video explains it the best.

Technology in Teaching

       Video

         Methods:  Research methods

         http://notawfulandboring.blogspot.com/2017/05/pew-research-centers-methods-101-video.html

         The Pew Research Center is starting a video series on research methods, presumably mostly about survey methods.
 See the first video here on sampling techniques.

         Persuasion: Rational vs. emotional appeal (1:47)

         https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hzgzim5m7oU

         A good example

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

How Do You ... ?

       Ever wonder how your fellow social psych instructors handle a certain topic or issue in their courses? Then send
       me your "How Do You..?" question and I will try and post it here. If I get some answers I will post them in the
       following issue.

Request Line is Open!

       Yes, I take requests; in fact, I encourage them. Are there particular types of resources you would like examples
       of? Particular topics you are interested in? Teaching tips? Technology tips? I want to tailor this newsletter to
       your needs. So, please feel free to send me your requests, suggestions, comments and resources. Send them
       directly to me ([hidden email]) or by replying to this message.

The Teaching Social Psychology Newsletter is published monthly (hopefully) by

Jon Mueller
Professor of Psychology
30 North Brainard St.
North Central College
Naperville, IL 60540
[hidden email]
http://jfmueller.faculty.noctrl.edu

Copyright, Jon Mueller 2001-2017.

You are welcome to share part or all of this newsletter with anyone you like for non-commercial purposes. Please pass it
along to others who you think might find it useful.

How to change subscription options:
Go to https://lists.noctrl.edu/sympa/suboptions/socialpsy-teach

How to view past issues of the Newsletter:
Go to https://lists.noctrl.edu/sympa/arc/socialpsy-teach

Jon Mueller
Professor of Psychology
North Central College