[socialpsy-teach] TSP Newsletter - Vol. 16, No. 8

[socialpsy-teach] TSP Newsletter - Vol. 16, No. 8

David P. Dillard

Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2017 11:53:02 -0500
From: Jon Mueller <[hidden email]>
To: [hidden email]
Subject: [socialpsy-teach] TSP Newsletter - Vol. 16, No. 8

                                            Teaching Social Psychology Newsletter

                                                        Vol. 16, No. 8

                                                        April 29, 2017

                                            the e-mail newsletter accompanying the
                                  Resources for the Teaching of Social Psychology website at

Monthly or Weekly?  Monthly it will remain.  More than two-thirds of respondents to the survey said they preferred that I
continue to send out the Newsletter on a monthly schedule.  Thanks for all who responded.

Excellent new video resource!  Subscriber Steven Ross has created a YouTube channel in which he has organized an already
large number of video clips from TV shows, movies, ads, and other sources for many of areas of psychology.  Social
psychology is well represented.  If you select a video clip on a topic such as fear appeal, as I did, not only does that
first ad using fear appeal play, but the other fear appeal ads play right after it in succession, which is very convenient
in the classroom.  Go to Playlists to see the different categories of videos. Check out the resource and suggest additional
videos at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCM_2SK06o4LrNTconbSUUkw   Thanks, Steven.  Oh, and enjoy the introductory song!

Activities and Exercises

       Gender & Culture: Exploring dimensions of gender, sex, and attraction

       Using the Gender Unicorn!

       General:  Using pre-questions

       This study found that the simple use of pre-questions before students watch a short video significantly
       increased their memory for information in the video, even information unrelated to the pre-questions.

       Persuasion:  A quiz on pre-suasion

       See how you do.  From subscriber Robert Cialdini -- lots of material for discussion in class

       Prejudice: Privilege exercise

       Prejudice: Confront and contest your stigma

Topic Resources

       Aggression/Prejudice:  Documenting Hate

       Documenting Hate is a project to create a national (U.S.) database of hate crimes and bias incidents. You can
       read stories of hate crimes and bias incidents here.  The second link is to a good history of how the U.S. came
       to document hate crimes.

       Gender & Culture: "Representation of gender and sexuality in Disney's Beauty and the Beast"

       A brief essay on the new film

       Gender & Culture: "Google accused of 'extreme' gender pay discrimination"

       Gender & Culture: Should men have one-on-one meetings with women?

       Interesting blog entry on the topic based on current events

       Gender & Culture:  Preferred interpersonal space across countries

       Interesting study found that Argentina, Bulgaria, and Peru appeared to prefer the closest distance while
       Romania, Hungary, and Saudi Arabia preferred greater interpersonal distance.

       Persuasion: "Do funny (journal) article titles garner more citations?"

       Apparently not

       Persuasion/Social Judgment: The science of "blue lies"

       Interesting discussion of why President Trump telling lies does not turn off his supporters - it's because he is
       often telling "blue lies" according to this analysis. Blue lies are "falsehoods, told on behalf of a group, that
       can actually strengthen the bonds among members of that group."

       Prejudice:  The story about Ellen DeGeneres coming out on TV 20 years ago

       Most of your students were born around that time.  How is their world different?

       Prejudice: "2016 was a horrible year for anti-Semitic hate crimes. 2017 is much worse."

       Prejudice: The father of "homophobia"

       A brief essay about Dr. George Weinberg who coined the term "homophobia," and who recently died

       Prejudice: "The costs of racial 'color blindness'"

       Psychology in the Courtroom: "Eyewitness confidence can predict accuracy of identifications"

       Social Judgment: Liberals as biased as conservatives

       according to two new studies

       Social Judgment: The invisibility cloak illusion

       It's always good to see Harry Potter sneak (because he's under the cloak) into our field.  The illusion involves
       us believing that we are "more observant (and less observed) than everyone else."  We really feel that when
       we're driving.

Technology in Teaching

         Conflict & Peacemaking/Prejudice:  Can we reduce conflict/prejudice if people are willing to sit down with each
other? (4:25)

         That is what this Heineken beer ad asks.

         Persuasion: Fear appeals

         From Steven Ross' YouTube channel as described above

         Persuasion:  Buschhhhhhhhh

         This old Busch beer ad introduced during the Super Bowl and its follow up ads (e.g., oversharing, last word,
indecision) capture a number of principles well such as humor, repetition, and the peripheral route.

         Prejudice:  This is your brain on drug policy (1:21)

         This ad discusses racial bias in drug policy

         Prejudice: 25 mini-films

         Brief interviews/descriptions examining race, bias, and identify with students

How Do You ... ?

       Ever wonder how your fellow social psych instructors handle a certain topic or issue in their courses? Then send
       me your "How Do You..?" question and I will try and post it here. If I get some answers I will post them in the
       following issue.

Request Line is Open!

       Yes, I take requests; in fact, I encourage them. Are there particular types of resources you would like examples
       of? Particular topics you are interested in? Teaching tips? Technology tips? I want to tailor this newsletter to
       your needs. So, please feel free to send me your requests, suggestions, comments and resources. Send them
       directly to me ([hidden email]) or by replying to this message.

The Teaching Social Psychology Newsletter is published monthly (hopefully) by

Jon Mueller
Professor of Psychology
30 North Brainard St.
North Central College
Naperville, IL 60540
[hidden email]

Copyright, Jon Mueller 2001-2017.

You are welcome to share part or all of this newsletter with anyone you like for non-commercial purposes. Please pass it
along to others who you think might find it useful.

How to subscribe to the Newsletter:
Go to https://lists.noctrl.edu/sympa/subscribe/socialpsy-teach

How to view past issues of the Newsletter:
Go to https://lists.noctrl.edu/sympa/arc/socialpsy-teach

Jon Mueller
Professor of Psychology
North Central College