[socialpsy-teach] TSP Newsletter - Vol. 16, No. 11b

[socialpsy-teach] TSP Newsletter - Vol. 16, No. 11b

Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2017 10:15:22 -0500
From: Jon Mueller <[hidden email]>
To: [hidden email]
Subject: [socialpsy-teach] TSP Newsletter - Vol. 16, No. 11b

                              Teaching Social Psychology Newsletter

                                        Vol. 16, No. 11b

                                         August 30, 2017

                             the e-mail newsletter accompanying the
                   Resources for the Teaching of Social Psychology website at
                            http://jfmueller.faculty.noctrl.edu/crow

Yes, the bonus August issue as promised.  11b?  I didn't know what to call it, but here it
is....

Articles

          Social Judgment: I can guess your social class in...seven words

          https://michaelkraus.squarespace.com/s/signs-of-social-class.pdf

          https://www.psychologicalscience.org/news/minds-business/strangers-can-detect-social
-class-in-just-seven-words.html

          This research found that participants could also detect social class in other brief
slices of strangers such as 60s of video and 20 Facebook photos, but they could detect social
class at better than chance levels just hearing seven random

          words spoken by the stranger.  The second link is to a blog entry about the research.

Examples

          Gender & Culture: Objectification

          http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-news-from-elsewhere-40851224

          "Chinese restaurant offers bra size discounts."

          The Self: Cognitive dissonance

          http://www.pbs.org/newshour/updates/white-supremacists-respond-genetics-say-theyre-n
ot-white/

          How do White nationalists respond when DNA testing reveals they are not all white,
and how do their group members respond?

Topic Resources

       Aggression: "A gun in the vehicle triggers aggressive driving"

       https://psmag.com/news/the-fast-and-the-furious-and-their-firearms

       Attraction & Relationships: "Why do people swipe right (or left) on Tinder"

http://www.scienceofrelationships.com/home/2017/7/3/infographic-why-do-people-swipe-right-or-l
       eft-on-tinder.html

       A nice infographic describing some research on the question

       Attraction & Relationships: "Familiar faces look happier than unfamiliar ones"

https://www.psychologicalscience.org/news/releases/familiar-faces-look-happier-than-unfamiliar
       -ones.html#.WVROqmjytnJ

       Attraction & Relationships: Chicago Face Database

       http://faculty.chicagobooth.edu/bernd.wittenbrink/cfd/index.html

       A large, normed, freely-available database of faces for research use

       Attraction & Relationships: "15 common social quirks that make you less likeable"

https://www.standard.co.uk/lifestyle/london-life/15-common-social-quirks-that-make-you-less-li
       keable-a3618716.html

       Attraction & Relationships/Persuasion: We prefer brands with faces, especially if
       we are lonely

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-4819560/Lonely-people-favour-brands-FACE-them.h
       tml#ixzz4qmG4xlMm

       Referring back to an earlier post:  Would we be more willing to read the journal
       articles in which the authors' faces were included?

       Conformity: Are you "green to be seen" or "brown to get down"?

       http://spsp.org/news-center/blog/beyond-bystander-effect

       Interesting study looks at how we signal valued group membership through the
       behaviors we choose.  For example, if you are an environmentalist you will seek out
       visible behaviors that signal that membership (green to be seen), whereas if you
       don't see yourself as an environmentalist you will avoid visible pro-environment
       behaviors (brown to get down).

       Gender & Culture: "The Google memo: What does the research says about gender
       differences?"

https://heterodoxacademy.org/2017/08/10/the-google-memo-what-does-the-research-say-about-gende
       r-differences/

       A good, recent review of the literature of "sex differences in interests, traits,
       and abilities that might be related to coding/engineering/STEM," with an analysis
       of its relationship to the claims in the Google memo

       General: Applying to grad school in personality or social psychology

       http://spsp.org/resources/student/applying-to-grad-school

       Some resources for your students (or you!)

       Group Influence: Why the eclipse is (was) best experienced in a crowd

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/14/science/why-some-say-the-eclipse-is-best-experienced-in-a-m
       assive-crowd.html

       I just like the first picture in this article.

       Methods: Sampling bias in the 2016 U.S. presidential election

       https://teachpsych.org/page-1784686/5021417

       An analysis of one reason the polls were off in the election

       Methods: Cohen's d effect size visualization

       http://rpsychologist.com/d3/cohend/

       Conformity/Persuasion: Consumers preferred more frequently reviewed products even
       if ratings were not higher

https://www.psychologicalscience.org/news/releases/people-favor-highly-reviewed-products-even-
       when-they-shouldnt.html

       In fact, even if two products were poorly rated, the one with more reviews (meaning
       more negative ones) was more often selected.

       Prejudice: "Responding to hate on campus"

       http://faculty.webster.edu/woolflm/APASymposium2017.html

       Here are presentations and resources from a symposium on the topic at the 2017 APA
       conference.

       Prejudice: "Looking for similarities can bring marginalized groups together"

       http://behavioralscientist.org/looking-similarities-can-bring-marginalized-groups-together/

       Prejudice: Belief in a group's unchanging essence leads to isolating those groups

       http://news.stanford.edu/2017/08/14/bias-leads-supporting-boundary-enhancing-initiatives/

       "So, if I'm high in essentialism, not only will I believe that men are essentially
       distinct from women, or that immigrants are essentially distinct from natives, but
       I'll also support legislation that enforces gender segregation in public bathrooms,
       or a presidential candidate who promises to build a wall along the Mexico-U.S.
       border."

       Prejudice: Research on racism

       https://www.psychologicalscience.org/topics/racism

       Some featured articles on the topic from the Association for Psychological Science

       Prejudice: "India declares freedom of sexual orientation a fundamental right"

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/india-declares-freedom-of-sexual-orientation-a-fundamental
       -right_us_599f574ee4b05710aa5b4194?ncid=inblnkushpmg00000009

       Prejudice: Hate map

       https://www.splcenter.org/hate-map

       The Southern Poverty Law Center tracks hate groups in the U.S., and the results can
       be viewed through this interactive map.   Students could select a group and
       complete an assignment or project about it.

       Prejudice/Social Judgment: 5- and 6-year-olds attribute more diverse attributes to
       similar rather than dissimilar others

https://www.psychologicalscience.org/news/releases/like-adults-children-show-bias-in-attributi
       ng-mental-states-to-others.html

       It's not mentioned in this summary of the research, but it also sounds like the
       beginning of the homogeneity effect.

       Psychology in the Courtroom/Social Judgment: How to tell if someone is lying

https://www.nbcnews.com/better/health/how-tell-if-someone-lying-according-behavioral-experts-n
       cna786326

       Some suggestions from experts

       Social Judgment: Facial appearance in leaders of law firms and crime families

       https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/attraction-evolved/201707/face-fit-the-job

       Apparently, leaders in law firms looked more powerful than other lawyers at the
       firm, while leaders of crime families looked more socially skilled.

Technology in Teaching

       Video

         Prejudice: "How White nationalism became normal online" (18:31)

         https://theintercept.com/2017/08/25/video-how-white-nationalism-became-normal-online/
         Video and article from The Intercept

How Do You ... ?

       Ever wonder how your fellow social psych instructors handle a certain topic or
       issue in their courses? Then send me your "How Do You..?" question and I will try
       and post it here. If I get some answers I will post them in the following issue.

Request Line is Open!

       Yes, I take requests; in fact, I encourage them. Are there particular types of
       resources you would like examples of? Particular topics you are interested in?
       Teaching tips? Technology tips? I want to tailor this newsletter to your needs. So,
       please feel free to send me your requests, suggestions, comments and resources.
       Send them directly to me ([hidden email]) or by replying to this message.

The Teaching Social Psychology Newsletter is published monthly (hopefully) by

Jon Mueller

Professor of Psychology

30 North Brainard St.

North Central College

Naperville, IL 60540

[hidden email]

http://jfmueller.faculty.noctrl.edu

Copyright, Jon Mueller 2001-2017.

You are welcome to share part or all of this newsletter with anyone you like for non-commercial
purposes. Please pass it along to others who you think might find it useful.

How to subscribe to the Newsletter:
Go to https://lists.noctrl.edu/sympa/subscribe/socialpsy-teach

How to view past issues of the Newsletter:
Go to https://lists.noctrl.edu/sympa/arc/socialpsy-teach

Jon Mueller

Professor of Psychology

North Central College