[socialpsy-teach] TSP Newsletter - Vol. 16, No. 11

[socialpsy-teach] TSP Newsletter - Vol. 16, No. 11

Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2017 14:18:42 -0500
From: Jon Mueller <[hidden email]>
To: [hidden email]
Subject: [socialpsy-teach] TSP Newsletter - Vol. 16, No. 11

                                            Teaching Social Psychology Newsletter

                                                       Vol. 16, No. 11

                                                       August 15, 2017

                                            the e-mail newsletter accompanying the
                                  Resources for the Teaching of Social Psychology website at
                                           http://jfmueller.faculty.noctrl.edu/crow

Welcome, new subscribers!  I distribute 11 issues a year, excluding July, so this may be your first issue.  All of the
resources listed below will eventually be added to the Resources for the Teaching of Social Psychology website linked above.
 There you can find thousands of annotated links to activities and exercises, class assignments, multimedia, topic resources
and more for the teaching of social psychology and related courses.  (If you haven't recently, you might want to take a look
at what is available at the Resources website.  A nudge!)  As always, if you ever come across any resources you would like
to share please pass them along.  Enjoy!

(Editor's Note:  After adding the items below, I realize I still have so many resources left that I will be sending out a
second issue later in August.  A bonus issue!  Oh, and I now have hummingbirds outside my office window!)

Activities and Exercises

       Group Influence: Group polarization

       http://teachpsych.org/resources/Pictures/H.I.T.blog/David%20Myers%20-%20Group%20polarization.pdf

       Subscriber David Myers share this activity he has used in his social psychology classes.

       Social Judgment: Pseudopsychic demonstrations

       http://teachpsych.org/resources/Pictures/H.I.T.blog/David%20Myers%20-%20Pseudopsychic%20demonstrations.pdf

       Another good set of classroom demos from David Myers

       The Self: Adaptation-level phenomenon

https://community.macmillan.com/community/the-psychology-community/blog/2017/07/09/examples-of-adaptation-level-phenomenon-
       from-louis-c-k

       Comedian Louis C. K. provides some examples, and then a possible activity with students is described.

Articles

          Attitudes & Behavior/Helping: "Free will beliefs predict attitudes toward unethical behavior and criminal
punishment"

          http://jfmueller.faculty.noctrl.edu/crow/vohs.pdf

          Subscriber Kathleen Vohs graciously shared this interesting article.

          Helping: Too hot to help

          http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/ejsp.2242/epdf

          This research suggests that uncomfortably warm conditions can lead to reduced helping.

          The Self: "The true self: A psychological concept distinct from the self

          https://campuspress.yale.edu/joshuaknobe/files/2016/11/TrueSelfReview-15aciac.pdf

Examples

          Gender & Culture: Objectification

          http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-news-from-elsewhere-40851224

          "Chinese restaurant offers bra size discounts."

          Social Judgment: Confirmation bias

          http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/outback-steakhouse-not-satanic-cult_us_597cc5bde4b0da64e8798095?wif&ncid=inbl
nkushpmg00000009

          This bizarre story around Outback Steakhouse locations is a good example of confirmation bias and our natural
search for patterns.

Topic Resources

       Aggression:  Many mass killers and terrorists have a history of domestic violence

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/james-alex-fields-domestic-violence_us_599221bde4b08a247276ba28?ncid=inblnkushpmg000000
       09

       As does the alleged perpetrator at the Charlottesville episode

       Aggression: "The 5 W's of threat appraisal"

       http://psychlearningcurve.org/threat-appraisals/

       Advice for school personnel and parents if you hear a student make a threat

       Aggression: Can words be violence?

       https://www.theatlantic.com/education/archive/2017/07/why-its-a-bad-idea-to-tell-students-words-are-violence/533970/

       https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/14/opinion/sunday/when-is-speech-violence.html?_r=0

       An interesting discussion of the topic -- what do your students think?  The second link is to the original
       article to which the first author responds.

       Attitudes & Behavior:  Majority of Republicans believe colleges are bad for U.S.

       http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/republicans-college-poll_us_59639fe2e4b0d5b458ec4481

       This change in belief has been quite rapid recently.  What might have led to such a change?

       Conformity/Persuasion: When and where do nudges work?

       https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2017-07-19/some-countries-like-nudges-more-than-others

       A "nudge" is an intervention "that preserves freedom of choice, but steers people in a particular direction."

       Group Influence: "Being in a group makes us less likely to fact-check"

       https://hbr.org/2017/08/research-being-in-a-group-makes-us-less-likely-to-fact-check?

       Helping: "Endorsing for others what we oppose for ourselves"

       http://behavioralscientist.org/paradox-helping-endorsing-others-oppose/

       "People who receive help prefer agentic aid-- they want to choose...yet people who give help prefer it to be
       paternalistic."

       Prejudice: Heavier Asian-Americans are seen as more Americans

       https://qz.com/1043643/your-weight-can-affect-how-american-you-look/

       Apparently since the stereotypes are that Asians are thin and Americans are heavy then heavy Asian-Americans
       must be more American!

       Prejudice: Wealthy communities "seceding" from school districts

       https://edbuild.org/content/fractured/fractured-full-report.pdf

       Apparently for racial reasons in many cases, in this newer phenomenon

       Prejudice: "Redlining never went away"

       https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2017-07-19/redlining-never-went-away

       "New research shows that discriminatory lending holds down housing values, hurting black wealth accumulation."

       Prejudice: Germany votes to legalize same-sex marriage

       http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/germany-same-sex-marriage_us_5953cd3ae4b0da2c73205644?ncid=inblnkushpmg00000009

       Prejudice: Reducing racial bias

       https://www.vox.com/identities/2016/11/15/13595508/racism-trump-research-study

       A good discussion of strategies that work and ones that don't

       Prejudice/Social Judgment:  Why do we have biases?

       http://behavioralscientist.org/overcoming-biases-come-us/

       This essay provides a nice discussion of two common motives: self-protection and efficiency.

       Social Judgment: "Does empathy and warmth make a physician seem more competent?"

       https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/observations/does-empathy-and-warmth-make-a-physician-seem-more-competent/

       Apparently, yes

       Social Judgment/The Self: Those who think they are highly intuitive really aren't

       http://wtop.com/education/2017/07/intuition-study-research/

       Surprising findings to those who think they are intuitive, but very unsurprising to social psychologists

       The Self: "Would you rather cut off your hand or be known as a Nazi?"

       https://www.seeker.com/culture/behavior/reputation-study-asks-would-you-rather-cut-off-your-hand-or-be-known-as-a-nazi

       This very interesting and timely research is all about the importance of reputation.  According to the studies,
       many would rather cut off their hand, perhaps even more so after last week's events.

       The Self: "Watching children learn to lie"

       https://theconversation.com/watching-children-learn-how-to-lie-80299

       Within this study researchers could observe 3-year-olds discover how to lie.  Immediately after the study two of
       the kids declared themselves candidates for office, and one applied for graduate work in social psychology.

Technology in Teaching

       Video

         Aggression: "School bully" (2:05)

         https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUvFeyGxaaU

         Amusing Key and Peele video exploring some of the motivations of bullies

         Gender & Culture: Women on Capitol Hil cannot go sleeveless (1:28)

         http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/women-dress-code-capitol-hill_us_59600432e4b0d5b458ea9857?nup&ncid=inblnkushpm
g00000009

         Prejudice: A documentary of Charlottesville, VA (22:05)

         http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/charlottesville-vice-documentary_us_59930983e4b09071f69cc8f6?ncid=inblnkushpmg
00000009

         Yes, already.  This is a powerful, on-the-ground look at the events and people of those hours. from HBO's Vice News
Tonight.  Lots of opportunity for discussion around this video.

         Prejudice:  "Don't be a sucker" (17:21)

         http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/dont-be-a-sucker-government-fascism-film_us_599127a8e4b09071f69aa4ee?ncid=inbl
nkushpmg00000009

         This 1943 U.S. government film about fascism recently went viral after what happened in Charlottesville, VA.

         Prejudice: Being gay then and now (11:13)

         https://community.macmillan.com/community/the-psychology-community/blog/2017/07/16/being-gay-then-and-now-a-conver
sation

         A conversation between a 13-year-old boy and a 76-year-old man about being gay

         Prejudice: The Talk (2:09)

         https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdV2f4jH5YQ

         A powerful commercial from Proctor & Gamble about "the talk" African-American parents give to their children

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

How Do You ... ?

       Ever wonder how your fellow social psych instructors handle a certain topic or issue in their courses? Then send
       me your "How Do You..?" question and I will try and post it here. If I get some answers I will post them in the
       following issue.

Request Line is Open!

       Yes, I take requests; in fact, I encourage them. Are there particular types of resources you would like examples
       of? Particular topics you are interested in? Teaching tips? Technology tips? I want to tailor this newsletter to
       your needs. So, please feel free to send me your requests, suggestions, comments and resources. Send them
       directly to me ([hidden email]) or by replying to this message.

The Teaching Social Psychology Newsletter is published monthly (hopefully) by

Jon Mueller
Professor of Psychology
30 North Brainard St.
North Central College
Naperville, IL 60540
[hidden email]
http://jfmueller.faculty.noctrl.edu

Copyright, Jon Mueller 2001-2017.

You are welcome to share part or all of this newsletter with anyone you like for non-commercial purposes. Please pass it
along to others who you think might find it useful.

How to change subscription options:
Go to https://lists.noctrl.edu/sympa/suboptions/socialpsy-teach

How to view past issues of the Newsletter:
Go to https://lists.noctrl.edu/sympa/arc/socialpsy-teach

Jon Mueller
Professor of Psychology
North Central College