[Net-Gold] Waves to be Remembered by - Beyond the Bars, A Live Broadcast by Indigenous Prisoners

[Net-Gold] Waves to be Remembered by - Beyond the Bars, A Live Broadcast by Indigenous Prisoners

Date: Sat, 4 Jul 2009 01:38:13 -0400 (EDT)
From: George Lessard <[hidden email]>
Subject: [Net-Gold] Waves to be Remembered by - Beyond the Bars,
     A Live Broadcast by Indigenous Prisoners

.

Waves to be Remembered by -
Beyond the Bars,
A Live Broadcast by Indigenous Prisoners

The community radio workshop by Gilla McGuiness
and his son Johnny Mac for Aboriginal prisoners
at Port Phillip Prison.

Beyond the Bars airs on 3CR (855AM)
July 6 and 7, from 11am to 2pm (Dame
Phyllis Frost Centre and Barwon Prison),
July 8, from noon to 2pm (Fulham
Prison) and July 9, noon to 4pm
(Port Phillip Prison).

[excerpt]

<http://www.theage.com.au/news/entertainment/
tv--radio/waves-to-be-remembered-by/
2009/07/02/1246127632683.html?page=
fullpage#contentSwap2>

"...Wayne is an inmate at Port Phillip Prison.
When he talks about the beginning, he's talking
about his first spell inside. That was nine years
ago, when he was 17. He rolls the word "juvies"
(juvenile detention) around in his mouth like most
of us might say "high school".

Wayne and I meet in the prison chapel at noon on a
Friday afternoon. We're there for the same reason,
to attend a workshop for Beyond the Bars, a live
broadcast by indigenous prisoners that takes place
each year during National Aboriginal and Islander
Day Observance Committee Week. Led by veteran
broadcaster Gilla McGuiness and his son, Johnny Mac,
the workshop is attended by 15 prisoners, some of
whom, like Wayne, have taken part in the program
since its inception in 2002. As Wayne tells me, this
is both a good and a bad thing: good that the
broadcast's gone from strength to strength, bad that
he's still in prison to take part in it.

Beyond the Bars was conceived by Shaun Braybrook,
who back in 2001 worked as Port Phillip's indigenous
liaison officer. "Basically I went to my boss, who
happened to be the head of a maximum security prison,
and asked him if we could have a radio show,"
Braybrook says of the project's beginnings. "He said
'It's a good idea. Go ahead, talk to the people you
need to talk to and come back to me'." It was all the
encouragement Braybrook needed. He tracked down an old
mate from his days at the Fitzroy
Stars Football Club, celebrated musician Kutcha Edwards,
approached 3CR community radio, and together they
drafted a plan...."