[Net-Gold] Interviews Available -- Coup in Honduras

[Net-Gold] Interviews Available -- Coup in Honduras

Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 16:26:54 -0400 (EDT)
From: George Lessard <[hidden email]>
To: [hidden email]
Subject: [Net-Gold] Interviews Available -- Coup in Honduras

.

Interviews Available -- Coup in Honduras

Subject: [NEWSROOM-L] Interviews Available -- Coup in Honduras
From:    "Newsroom-l" <[hidden email]>
Date:    Mon, June 29, 2009 15:55
To:      [hidden email]

Institute for Public Accuracy
915 National Press Building, Washington, D.C. 20045
(202) 347-0020 * http://www.accuracy.org * [hidden email]

         PM Monday, June 29, 2009

          Coup in Honduras

          Interviews Available

GREG GRANDIN [in New York City],

(347) 804-6851,

[hidden email]

Greg Grandin teaches history at New York University.
He is the author of "Empire's Workshop: Latin America,
the United States, and the Rise of the New Imperialism"
and "The Last Colonial Massacre: Latin America in the
Cold War." He  said today: "Obama needs to align his
position with the rest of the American republics, and
not just express 'concern' about events in Honduras,
but repudiate the coup and its plotters, and demand
the restoration of Manuel Zelaya to the presidency."

JUAN ALMENDARES, 011-504-237-5700,
mobile: 011-504-998-54-150,
[hidden email]

Almendares is a Honduran medical doctor and award-winning
human rights activist. He is the president of the
Honduran Peace Committee. He appeared on Democracy Now
this morning. He said today: "What we are looking [at]
now is, we are going back to [a] repressive situation.

Some of the advisers of the [new] government have been
perpetrators, torture perpetrators, of the 1980s.
Some of these people think like Pinochet, and they are
comparing Zelaya with Salvador Allende. And we have
here in Honduras a different situation. We have a
government who were doing not a referendum; they were
doing just a survey, a simple survey, to ask people
whether they want to have a constitutional reform.

But we have an alliance between the very powerful
class in this country [and] the military."

Video is available at:

<http://www.democracynow.org/2009/6/29/
coup_in_honduras_military_ousts_president>

MARK WEISBROT, [via Dan Beeton],
(202) 256-6116, mobile:
(202) 746-7264,
[hidden email]

Co-director of the Center for Economic and Policy Research,
Weisbrot is the author of numerous papers and articles on
Latin America available at

<http://www.cepr.net>

He said today: "There was no excuse for the Honduran
military to intervene, regardless of the constitutional
issues at stake. Today's proposed referendum was
non-binding and merely consultative. Thus no one could
argue that allowing it to go forward could cause
irreparable harm."

ANDRES THOMAS CONTERIS, 202-232-1999,
[hidden email],
http://nonviolentaction.net/?p=290

Conteris is scheduled to co-lead a delegation to
Honduras co-sponsored by Nonviolence International and
CodePink this week. He said today:

"It is vital for the international community to support
the call by the democratically elected president of
Honduras, Manuel Zelaya, to engage in nonviolent civil
disobedience to support the rule of law and the will
of the people of Honduras."

For more information, contact at the Institute for
Public Accuracy: Sam Husseini, (202) 347-0020,
(202) 421-6858; or David Zupan, (541) 484-9167

For all list information and functions, including
changing your subscription mode and options, visit
the Web page:

<http://lists.accuracy.org/lists/info/mediagen>

-- via -
JULES SIEGEL Apdo. 1764, 77501-Cancun, Q. Roo, Mexico
http://www.cafecancun.com/bookarts

http://www.newsroom-l.net/