MEDICAL: CONDITIONS: OBESITY : FOOD DRINK NUTRITION DIET: DIET: COMFORT FOOD : PHYSICAL EXERCISE AND FITNESS : POVERTY: Comfort Food, Lack of Exercise and Poverty Fuel Obesity Rate

MEDICAL: CONDITIONS: OBESITY : FOOD DRINK NUTRITION DIET: DIET: COMFORT FOOD : PHYSICAL EXERCISE AND FITNESS : POVERTY: Comfort Food, Lack of Exercise and Poverty Fuel Obesity Rate

MEDICAL: CONDITIONS: OBESITY :

FOOD DRINK NUTRITION DIET: DIET: COMFORT FOOD :

PHYSICAL EXERCISE AND FITNESS :

POVERTY:

Comfort Food, Lack of Exercise and Poverty Fuel Obesity Rate

Comfort Food, Lack of Exercise and Poverty Fuel Obesity Rate

Last Updated by Desare Frazier

August 16, 2017 at 11:27 am

Missouri Public Radio

http://www.mpbonline.org/blogs/news/2017/08/16/
comfort-food-lack-of-exercise-and-poverty-fuel-obesity-rate/

.

A shorter URL for the above link:

.

http://tinyurl.com/ycsa6zod

Too much Comfort foods, lack of exercise, and Mississippi's poverty rate
put the state at number two on the Obesity scale nationwide. As part of
our new series "State of Obesity." MPB's Desare Frazier takes a look at
some of the issues making and keeping Mississippians fat.

.

Four to 5 times a week, Amanda Cole of Raymond, is at the gym working out.
Running on the treadmill isn't the 37-year old's favorite exercise.

.

Amanda laughs, "I feel good, I feel fine," says Amanda. "You feel fine,"
saying Lane.

.

"Cardiovascular. This is where we burn fat. This what a lot of people
don't like to do," said Lane.

.

That's Certified Personal Trainer Lavon Lane. He's helping Cole reach her
weight loss goals. When she began exercising in January, she  weighed 286
pounds. Cole's been overweight since she was a child and chalked the
excess weight up to poor eating habits and lack of exercise.

.

"I wanted to get healthier for myself and my children. I wanted to make
sure that I wasn't on maintenance medications and I wanted to just change
my lifestyle," said Cole.

.

So far, the married mother of four is dropping 10 pounds per month. Lane
says there are multiple reasons why people are fat. Bad eating habits and
lack of knowledge both play a role. He says when people come to him
they're overeating to relieve stress.

.

"And the majority of the time, food brings us comfort. Snacks brings us
comfort, a lot of sugary items," said Lane.

.

Lane says the old adage to clean your plate encourages overeating. He
tells his clients to eat what he calls "clean foods," such as green
vegetables, lean fish, and grill and bake meals instead of frying. Lane
says busy schedules make it hard to find time to eat right and exercise.

.

"Our bodies get hungry we find something quick and fast to eat, no healthy
food involved that. Another reason is just laziness," said Lane.

.

Lane says getting to the root cause of obesity can mean facing family and
emotional issues.  That's what Falasha Reed is doing. The 45-year old
married mother of four is the head nurse at the G.A. Carmichael Community
Health Center in Canton. At 323 pounds she has high blood pressure, sleep
apnea and her joints ache.  It began when she was born premature.

.

"Any time you're a smaller child, they push to eat, push you to eat, they
push you to eat. So, then I started eating. Then I stuttered so you know
compensating for the stuttering and kids picking on me I ate," said Reed.

.

Reed says her father's side of the family is big and relatives tell her
she's supposed to be large too. She's  meeting with the community health
center's Medical Director, Dr. Takita Murriel.

.

"Tell me about your diet," said Dr. Murriel. "How is my diet? It is awful.
I don't eat until lunch time. I'll be honest with you. I don't eat until
lunch time and Cokes are my vice. I drink about 3 or 4 cokes a day," said
Reed.

.

Dr. Murriel says 90 percent of her patients are overweight. She says
getting people to change their eating habits is hard. They don't want to
give up the taste of fat and salt like bacon, commonly used in southern
cooking.

.

"I've had patients come in, they're diabetic with high blood pressure and
say they ate a piece of sausage and a piece of bacon and a biscuit for
breakfast. And it's like 'ok no mame, that's just not how we need to do
this,' "said Dr. Murriel.

.

For low-income patients, Dr. Murriel says lack of money is a barrier to
eating healthy, leaving people with no option but to buy foods higher in
calories.

Sincerely,
David Dillard
Temple University
(215) 204 - 4584
[hidden email]
http://workface.com/e/daviddillard

Net-Gold
https://groups.io/g/Net-Gold
http://net-gold.3172864.n2.nabble.com/

AND Discussion Group Directory
http://tinyurl.com/ngda2hk

OR

FAKE NEWS
https://sites.google.com/site/fakenewsresearchguide/

RESEARCH PAPER WRITING
https://sites.google.com/site/howtowriteasuperresearchpaper/

EMPLOYMENT
https://sites.google.com/site/employmentsources/

INTERNSHIPS
http://tinyurl.com/2f9x2wp

TOURISM RESEARCH GUIDE
http://tinyurl.com/ycko9hqj

DISABILITIES AND EMPLOYMENT
https://sites.google.com/site/disabilitiesemploymentresearch/

Educator-Gold

K12ADMINLIFE

Social Work and Social Issues Discussion Group
https://groups.io/g/social-work

Tourism Discussion Group
https://groups.io/g/Tourism

Digital Scholarship Discussion Group
https://groups.io/g/DigitalScholarship/threads
https://digitalscholarshipandscholarlypublication.wordpress.com/

Copyright Research Guide
https://sites.google.com/site/copyrightlawsites/

Fair Use
http://guides.temple.edu/fair-use

Blog
https://educatorgold.wordpress.com/

Articles by David Dillard

http://tinyurl.com/78a4shn

Twitter: davidpdillard

Temple University Site Map

Bushell, R. & Sheldon, P. (eds),
http://tinyurl.com/o4pn4o9

Rail Transportation

INDOOR GARDENING

SPORT-MED

Please Ignore All Links to JIGLU
Temple University Listserv Alert :
Years 2009 and 2010 Eliminated from Archives