IMMIGRATION : CRIME AND CRIMINALS: CHILD ABUSE : COUNTRIES: UNITED STATES: Witness Reports from Detention Centers for Children and from Adults Seeking Legal Asylum

IMMIGRATION : CRIME AND CRIMINALS: CHILD ABUSE : COUNTRIES: UNITED STATES: Witness Reports from Detention Centers for Children and from Adults Seeking Legal Asylum

IMMIGRATION :

CRIME AND CRIMINALS: CHILD ABUSE :

COUNTRIES: UNITED STATES:

Witness Reports from Detention Centers for Children
and from Adults Seeking Legal Asylum

Witness Reports from Detention Centers for Children
and from Adults Seeking Legal Asylum

Under the Sign of Sylvia

There is no private life which has not been determined by a wider public
life (George Eliot)

June 18th, 2018 at 9:45 PM

https://misssylviadrake.livejournal.com/161051.html

*

*

AMY GOODMAN: As outrage is mounting over the Trump administrations
practice of separating immigrant children from their parents at the
U.S.-Mexico border as part of the crackdown against immigrants and asylum
seekers, the Associate Press reporting nearly 2,000 children have been
separated from their parents since April 19th, The New York Times
reporting some parents have been deported without their children and with
no information about how the family will be reunited, were going to look
now at Southwest Key, the nonprofit that operates 27 facilities in
California, Arizona and Texas, including the Brownsville facility that
holds 1,500 children, that Senator Merkley was previously denied entry to.

.

Were going to Tucson, Arizona, to speak with a whistleblower, a youth care
worker who quit the Tucson detention center for unaccompanied minors, run
by the nonprofit Southwest Key Programs, which also runs the Brownsville
facility and the proposed baby jail in Houston, 27 facilities in all.
Antar Davidson quit after, he says, Southwest Key forced him to tell
children who were separated from their mother and from their siblings not
to hug.

Antar Davidson, welcome to Democracy Now! Can you talk about why you quit
your job last week?

.

ANTAR DAVIDSON: Sure, definitely. Thank you, first and foremost, Amy, for
having me on the show. I just want to clarify a little bit the timeline of
events. That first night, when they told me not to hug, that prompted me
to seek change internally. I reached out to a regional director, who
assured me that shethe next morning, she assured me that things would
change, things would be different.

.

Four more Brazilians came. I found it extremely difficult. I tried to
help, through the organization. I tried to talk to people. And despite
being a Brazilian citizen and having had professional translation work,
they did not allow me to help. They really were blocking me at every turn.

.

I thenI then requested a leave, a time off, a week off, to process what I
had gone through. And prior to that, the CEO, Dr. Juan Schez, made his
rounds and began asking for money. And after they denied my leave request,
it was then that I made theI put in my resignation as a conscientious
objector. So, just to add

.

AMY GOODMAN: I dont understand what you said, Antar.

.

ANTAR DAVIDSON: Just addingyeah.

.

AMY GOODMAN: You said he was asking for money?

.

ANTAR DAVIDSON: Yes. So, hebasically, they called mandatory meetings at
our facility, three different mandatory meetings. And he initially said
that theyre goingthey need 500 more people. Theyre going to drop the ratio
from one-to-five to one-to-three for the tender age kids, so that refers
to the direct care ratios, so that they would have more staff to take care
of those younger kids. Five hundred kids500 new employees, he said we
needed.

.

He told then a sob story about a minor who had come into a facility with
very thick acne and how he felt so bad. Despite making a million
dollars-plus, between him and his wife, in federal tax dollars, he said
that he felt so bad that he couldnt do anything for this child with acne,
and then he proceeded to basically present this employee giving program,
where employees and staff were urged to give $10 of every paycheck or a
one-time contribution of $240. He then had a second speaker kind of
reinforce the policy, while passing around papers for people to sign away
their checks. And so, yeah, I just definitely want to clarify that
despite, of course, the acute problems of the zero tolerance policy, but
also we shouldnt let this CEO off the hook, whos been making a million
dollars-plus for the past five years, off the detention of children, of
vulnerable immigrant children.

Sincerely,
David Dillard
Temple University