IMMIGRATION : CRIME AND CRIMINALS: CHILD ABUSE : COUNTRIES: UNITED STATES: GOVERNMENT: Family Separation Is Trump's Immigration Policy. Here's Why He Won't Own It

IMMIGRATION : CRIME AND CRIMINALS: CHILD ABUSE : COUNTRIES: UNITED STATES: GOVERNMENT: Family Separation Is Trump's Immigration Policy. Here's Why He Won't Own It

IMMIGRATION :

CRIME AND CRIMINALS:

CHILD ABUSE :

COUNTRIES: UNITED STATES: GOVERNMENT:

Family Separation Is Trump's Immigration Policy.
Here's Why He Won't Own It

Family Separation Is Trump's Immigration Policy.
Here's Why He Won't Own It

June 20, 20185:00 AM ET

Domenico Montanaro - 2015

NPR

https://tinyurl.com/y6u2wfo6

President Trump and administration officials are walking a fine line on
family separation at the border.

*

They argue they don't like the policy, but that their hands are tied  and
instead are pointing fingers at Congress to "fix" it.

*

There may be good reason for that  the policy (and it is a Trump
administration policy, despite the Homeland Security secretary's claims to
the contrary) is unpopular.

*

The president on Tuesday called on Congress to come up with a "third
option": for the legal authority to detain and promptly remove families
together as a unit. This is similar to a practice used during the Obama
administration, when some families were detained together. That, too, was
criticized, but it is emerging now as a preferred alternative.

*

Some immigrants under Presidents Obama and George W. Bush were released
while they awaited adjudication, but that approach is one Trump and
conservative critics chafe at, calling it "catch and release." Trump White
House officials say that's not an option this president wants to consider
since their stated policy is "zero tolerance" for people who cross the
border illegally.

*

A hard line on immigration was a fundamental ideological underpinning of
Trump's candidacy. Now, the country is seeing the practical implementation
of that ideology, especially after a year in which little got done
legislatively on immigration. Trump, though, appears to be looking for a
way out of the bad optics and bad politics  without looking like he's
compromising his principles.

*

Putting Republicans in a jam

*

The president huddled with House Republicans Tuesday afternoon. They're
considering several bills, but the strings attached, as always, will be
what determines if they pass. Hard-liners and the Trump administration
want to see what they can get on the president's other immigration
priorities. But there's only so much moderates and Democrats are willing
to give on this.

*

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell said he wants a narrow bill that
deals strictly with family separation.

*

"In order to fix this problem you can't fix all the problems," he told
reporters. "We've wrestled with this issue for a decade."

*

The reality is, you don't need to look very far to see which way the wind
is blowing on this issue. Not only is the president declining to take full
ownership of the policy, but Democrats see no political reason to
capitulate, and that leaves moderate Republicans feeling the most heat.
Congressional Republicans, especially those in vulnerable House districts,
are the ones who most want this issue off the table quickly.

*

That's why Ohio Rep. Steve Stivers, head of the National Republican
Congressional Committee, came out against the policy. He encouraged the
Trump administration to "stop needlessly separating children from their
parents," he said in a statement on his Facebook page. "If the policy is
not changed, I will support other means to stop unnecessary separation of
children from their parents."

*

(If you want to see how divided people are on this, just read the comments
on Stivers' Facebook post.)

Press Releases

Stivers Statement on Updated Immigration Executive Order

.

Washington, March 6, 2017 | 0 comments

.

My first priority is the safety of the United States, and I am glad this
order seeks to better coordinate with agencies to determine if we are
receiving enough information from other countries to effectively vet those
who are attempting to come into the United States. I continue to support a
more permanent solution to our visa vetting process that also ensures we
differentiate between our partners in the region and radical Islamic
terrorists."

.

The following statement can be attributed to Congressman Steve Stivers
(R-OH) regarding the updated immigration executive order:

.

My first priority is the safety of the United States, and I am glad this
order seeks to better coordinate with agencies to determine if we are
receiving enough information from other countries to effectively vet those
who are attempting to come into the United States. I continue to support a
more permanent solution to our visa vetting process that also ensures we
differentiate between our partners in the region and radical Islamic
terrorists."

Sincerely,
David Dillard
Temple University