Hillary Clinton's Remarkably Aggressive Anti-Trump Speech, Annotated

Hillary Clinton's Remarkably Aggressive Anti-Trump Speech, Annotated

Hillary Clinton's Remarkably Aggressive Anti-Trump Speech, Annotated

By Peter Holley and Amber Phillips

May 26, 2017 at 2:30 PM

Washington Post

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2017/05/26/
hillary-clintons-remarkably-aggressive-anti-trump-speech-annotated/
?utm_term=.699686668a07

.

A shorter URL for the above link:

.

http://tinyurl.com/y9zqwwse

And by the way, we were furious about the past presidential election of a
man whose presidency would eventually end in disgrace with his impeachment
for obstruction of justice after firing the person running the
investigation into him at the Department of Justice.

.

But heres what I want you to know. We got through that tumultuous time,
and once again began to thrive as our society changed laws and opened the
circle of opportunity and rights wider and wider for more Americans. We
revved up the engines of innovation and imagination. We turned back a tide
of intolerance and embraced inclusion. The we who did those things were
more than those in power who wanted to change course. It was millions of
ordinary citizens, especially young people, who voted, marched, and
organized.

.

Now, of course today has some important differences. The advance of
technology, the impact of the internet, our fragmented media landscape,
make it easier than ever to splinter ourselves into echo chambers. We can
shut out contrary voices, avoid ever questioning our basic assumptions.
Extreme views are given powerful microphones. Leaders willing to exploit
fear and skepticism have tools at their disposal that were unimaginable
when I graduated.

.

And heres what that means to you, the Class of 2017. You are graduating at
a time when there is a full-fledged assault on truth and reason. Just log
on to social media for ten seconds. It will hit you right in the face.
People denying science, concocting elaborate, hurtful conspiracy theories
about child-abuse rings operating out of pizza parlors, drumming up
rampant fear about undocumented immigrants, Muslims, minorities, the poor,
turning neighbor against neighbor and sowing division at a time when we
desperately need unity. Some are even denying things we see with our own
eyes, like the size of crowds, and then defending themselves by talking
about quote-unquote alternative facts.

.

But this is serious business. Look at the budget that was just proposed in
Washington. It is an attack of unimaginable cruelty on the most vulnerable
among us, the youngest, the oldest, the poorest, and hard-working people
who need a little help to gain or hang on to a decent middle class life.
It grossly under-funds public education, mental health, and efforts even
to combat the opioid epidemic. And in reversing our commitment to fight
climate change, it puts the future of our nation and our world at risk.
And to top it off, it is shrouded in a trillion-dollar mathematical lie.
Lets call it what it is. Its a con. They dont even try to hide it.

.

Why does all this matter? It matters because if our leaders lie about the
problems we face, well never solve them. It matters because it undermines
confidence in government as a whole, which in turn breeds more cynicism
and anger. But it also matters because our country, like this College, was
founded on the principles of the Enlightenmentin particular, the belief
that people, you and I, possess the capacity for reason and critical
thinking, and that free and open debate is the lifeblood of a democracy.
Not only Wellesley, but the entire American university systemthe envy of
the worldwas founded on those fundamental ideals. We should not abandon
them; we should revere them. We should aspire to them every single day, in
everything we do.

.

And theres something else. As the history majors among you here today know
all too well, when people in power invent their own facts, and attack
those who question them, it can mark the beginning of the end of a free
society. That is not hyperbole. It is what authoritarian regimes
throughout history have done. They attempt to control realitynot just our
laws and rights and our budgets, but our thoughts and beliefs.

.

Right now, some of you might wonder, well why am I telling you all this?
You dont own a cable news network. You dont control the Facebook
algorithm. You arent a member of Congressyet. Because I believe with all
my heart that the future of Americaindeed, the future of the worlddepends
on brave, thoughtful people like you insisting on truth and integrity,
right now, every day. You didnt create these circumstances, but you have
the power to change them.

Sincerely,
David Dillard
Temple University
(215) 204 - 4584
[hidden email]
http://workface.com/e/daviddillard

Net-Gold
https://groups.io/g/Net-Gold
http://net-gold.3172864.n2.nabble.com/

AND Discussion Group Directory
http://tinyurl.com/ngda2hk

OR

FAKE NEWS
https://sites.google.com/site/fakenewsresearchguide/

RESEARCH PAPER WRITING

EMPLOYMENT

INTERNSHIPS

HOSPITALITY

DISABILITIES AND EMPLOYMENT
http://guides.temple.edu/c.php?g=134557

INDOOR GARDENING
https://groups.io/g/indoor-gardening

Educator-Gold

K12ADMINLIFE

PUBLIC HEALTH RESOURCES INCLUDING EBOLA

STATISTICS SOURCES RESEARCH GUIDE
http://guides.temple.edu/statistics-sources

Social Work and Social Issues Discussion Group
https://groups.io/g/social-work

Tourism Discussion Group
https://groups.io/g/Tourism

Digital Scholarship Discussion Group
https://groups.io/g/DigitalScholarship/threads
https://listserv.temple.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A0=DIGITAL-SCHOLARSHIP
https://digitalscholarshipandscholarlypublication.wordpress.com/

Copyright Research Guide
http://guides.temple.edu/copyright-plagiarism

Fair Use
http://guides.temple.edu/fair-use

Blog
https://educatorgold.wordpress.com/

Articles by David Dillard

http://tinyurl.com/78a4shn

Twitter: davidpdillard

Temple University Site Map

Bushell, R. & Sheldon, P. (eds),
http://tinyurl.com/o4pn4o9

Rail Transportation

INDOOR GARDENING

SPORT-MED

Please Ignore All Links to JIGLU
Temple University Listserv Alert :
Years 2009 and 2010 Eliminated from Archives