FOOD DRINK NUTRITION DIET : WEIGHT CONTROL: Advice that has Reached its Expiration Date

FOOD DRINK NUTRITION DIET : WEIGHT CONTROL: Advice that has Reached its Expiration Date

FOOD DRINK NUTRITION DIET :

WEIGHT CONTROL:

Advice that has Reached its Expiration Date

Advice that has Reached its Expiration Date

Special to The Washington Post

Cara Rosenbloom

Utah Mom Click

http://www.heraldextra.com/momclick/health-and-fitness/
advice-that-has-reached-its-expiration-date/
article_cf2bf440-6e47-5c8d-abc6-85c6f4e5a04a.html

.

A shorter URL for the above link:

.

http://tinyurl.com/ycyhu469

A friend of mine is trying to lose weight and wanted to check whether her
strategies were sound. She said she counts every calorie, avoids nuts
because of the high fat content and snacks only on sugary (but fat-free!)
foods. Was she on track?

.

If that conversation took place in 1993, she'd get kudos for her nutrition
knowledge. But those bits of wisdom are badly outdated. Nutritional
science changes quickly, and knowledge that was gleaned from a 25-year-old
nutrition textbook needs to be refreshed. Here's how nutrition information
has changed over the years and why it's important to keep up.

.

snip

.

Topics Covered in This Article

All fat is bad

Fructose (fruit sugar) is better for diabetics

All calories are equal

Sugar just causes cavities

Calories in, calories out

Weight loss was explained very simply in nutrition school: You'll lose
weight by cutting calories from food and increasing calories burned
through exercise. That's it - just eat less and move more. Obesity was
blamed on laziness and overconsumption.

.

Now we know that obesity is more complex than that. It involves genetics,
physiology, activity level, environment, diet and socioeconomic status.
Plus, researchers are heavily studying how obesity relates to hormones
such as leptin and ghrelin, which are not even mentioned in my 1990s
textbooks. In 2017, we aim to treat obesity as a disease and not lay blame
on the people who have it. And we still don't have all the answers to the
weight control riddle.

.

In fact, we don't have a lot of answers about nutrition, which is
considered a relatively new science. The research evolves as humans
evolve, and today's theory may not carry weight tomorrow. It will be
interesting to read this article in 25 years to see the progress we've
made.

Sincerely,

David Dillard

Temple University

(215) 204 - 4584

[hidden email]

http://workface.com/e/daviddillard

Net-Gold
https://groups.io/g/Net-Gold
http://net-gold.3172864.n2.nabble.com/

AND Discussion Group Directory
http://tinyurl.com/ngda2hk

OR

FAKE NEWS
https://sites.google.com/site/fakenewsresearchguide/

RESEARCH PAPER WRITING
https://sites.google.com/site/howtowriteasuperresearchpaper/

EMPLOYMENT
https://sites.google.com/site/employmentsources/

INTERNSHIPS
http://tinyurl.com/2f9x2wp

TOURISM RESEARCH GUIDE
http://tinyurl.com/ycko9hqj

DISABILITIES AND EMPLOYMENT
https://sites.google.com/site/disabilitiesemploymentresearch/

Educator-Gold

K12ADMINLIFE

Social Work and Social Issues Discussion Group
https://groups.io/g/social-work

Tourism Discussion Group
https://groups.io/g/Tourism

Digital Scholarship Discussion Group
https://groups.io/g/DigitalScholarship/threads
https://digitalscholarshipandscholarlypublication.wordpress.com/

Copyright Research Guide
https://sites.google.com/site/copyrightlawsites/

Fair Use
http://guides.temple.edu/fair-use

Blog
https://educatorgold.wordpress.com/

Articles by David Dillard

http://tinyurl.com/78a4shn

Twitter: davidpdillard

Temple University Site Map

Bushell, R. & Sheldon, P. (eds),
http://tinyurl.com/o4pn4o9

Rail Transportation

INDOOR GARDENING

SPORT-MED

Please Ignore All Links to JIGLU
Temple University Listserv Alert :
Years 2009 and 2010 Eliminated from Archives