[Educator-Gold] ENVIRONMENT GLOBAL WARMING AND CLIMATE CHANGE: CLIMATE CHANGE DECEIT : ENVIRONMENT GLOBAL WARMING AND CLIMATE CHANGE : CLIMATE CHANGE DENIAL : DISINFORMATION : UNITED STATES: POLITICS: POLITICAL PARTIES: REPUBLICAN PARTY, TEA PARTY : INDUSTRIES: PETROLEUM : LIBERTARIANISM : RACISM : BIGOTRY : EXTREMISM : HATE GROUPS : INTOLERANCE : DONALD TRUMP : BLATANT FALSEHOODS : SERIAL LIARS : REPUBLICAN WAR ON WOMEN : RAPE CULTURE : SEXISM : NEO-NAZIS : KU KLUX KLAN : RELIGION: CHRISTIANS: RELIGIOUS RIGHT : VIOLATIONS OF THE CONSTITUTION : MEDIA SUPPRESSION : LEGAL ISSUES : REPUBLICAN OBAMACARE REPEAL : MEDIA : FREEDOM OF THE PRESS : CENSORSHIP : POLITICS: VOTER SUPPRESSION : DICTATORSHIPS : OLIGARCHIES : FAKE NEWS : MENTAL ILLNESS: Trump and the Pathology of Narcissism

[...]

Diagnosing the president was off-limits to experts until a textbook case
entered the White House

By Alex Morris

April 5, 2017

Rolling Stone

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/features/
trump-and-the-pathology-of-narcissism-w474896

.

A shorter URL for the above link:

.

http://tinyurl.com/ls9pfqj

At 6:35 a.m. on the morning of March 4th, President Donald Trump did what
no U.S. president has ever done: He accused his predecessor of spying on
him. He did so over Twitter, providing no evidence and  lest anyone miss
the point  doubling down on his accusation in tweets at 6:49, 6:52 and
7:02, the last of which referred to Obama as a "Bad (or sick) guy!" Six
weeks into his presidency, these unsubstantiated tweets were just one of
many times the sitting president had rashly made claims that were (as we
soon learned) categorically untrue, but it was the first time since his
inauguration that he had so starkly drawn America's integrity into the
fray. And he had done it not behind closed doors with a swift call to the
Department of Justice, but instead over social media in a frenzy of ire
and grammatical errors. If one hadn't been asking the question before, it
was hard not to wonder: Is the president mentally ill?

.

It's now abundantly clear that Trump's behavior on the campaign trail was
not just a "persona" he used to get elected  that he would not, in fact,
turn out to be, as he put it, "the most presidential person ever, other
than possibly the great Abe Lincoln, all right?" It took all of 24 hours
to show us that the Trump we elected was the Trump we would get when,
despite the fact that he was president, that he had won, he spent that
first full day in office focused not on the problems facing our country
but on the problems facing him: his lackluster inauguration attendance and
his inability to win the popular vote.

.

Since Trump first announced his candidacy, his extreme disagreeableness,
his loose relationship with the truth and his trigger-happy attacks on
those who threatened his dominance were the worrisome qualities that
launched a thousand op-eds calling him "unfit for office," and led to
ubiquitous armchair diagnoses of "crazy." We had never seen a presidential
candidate behave in such a way, and his behavior was so abnormal that one
couldn't help but try to fit it into some sort of rubric that would help
us understand. "Crazy" kind of did the trick.

.

snip

.

But of course, something did come of it, and so on February 13th, Dodes
and 34 other psychiatrists, psychologists and social workers published a
letter in The New York Times stating that "Mr. Trump's speech and actions
make him incapable of safely serving as president." As Dodes tells me,
"This is not a policy matter at all. It is continuous behavior that the
whole country can see that indicates specific kinds of limitations, or
problems in his mind. So to say that those people who are most expert in
human psychology can't comment on it is nonsensical." In their letter, the
mental health experts did not go so far as to proffer a diagnosis, but the
affliction that has gotten the most play in the days since is a form of
narcissism so extreme that it affects a person's ability to function:
narcissistic personality disorder.

.

The most current iteration of the DSM classifies narcissistic personality
disorder as: "A pervasive pattern of grandiosity (in fantasy or behavior),
need for admiration, and lack of empathy, beginning by early adulthood and
present in a variety of contexts." A diagnosis would also require five or
more of the following traits:

.

1. Has a grandiose sense of self-importance (e.g., "Nobody builds walls
better than me"; "There's nobody that respects women more than I do";
"There's nobody who's done so much for equality as I have").?

.

2. Is preoccupied with fantasies of unlimited success, power, brilliance,
beauty or ideal love ("I alone can fix it"; "It's very hard for them to
attack me on looks, because I'm so good-looking").

.

3. Believes that he or she is "special" and unique and can only be
understood by, or should associate with, other special or high-status
people or institutions ("Part of the beauty of me is that I'm very rich").

.

4. Requires excessive admiration ("They said it was the biggest standing
ovation since Peyton Manning had won the Super Bowl").?

.

5. Has a sense of entitlement ("When you're a star, they let you do it.
You can do anything. Grab them by the pussy").

.

6. Is interpersonally exploitative (see above).?

.

7. Lacks empathy, is unwilling to recognize or identify with the
feelings?and needs of others ("He's not a war hero . . . he was captured.
I like people that weren't captured").?

.

8. Is often envious of others or believes that others are envious of him
or her ("I'm the president, and you're not").?

.

9. Shows arrogant, haughty behaviors or attitudes ("I could stand in the
middle of 5th Avenue and shoot somebody, and I wouldn't lose any voters").

.

NPD was first introduced as a personality disorder by the DSM in 1980 and
affects up to six percent of the U.S. population. It is not a mood state
but rather an ingrained set of traits, a programming of the brain that is
thought to arise in childhood as a result of parenting that either puts a
child on a pedestal and superficially inflates the ego or, conversely,
withholds approval and requires the child to single-handedly build up his
or her own ego to survive. Either way, this impedes the development of a
realistic sense of self and instead fosters a "false self," a grandiose
narrative of one's own importance that needs constant support and
affirmation  or "narcissistic supply"  to ward off an otherwise prevailing
sense of emptiness. Of all personality disorders, NPD is among the least
responsive to treatment for the obvious reason that narcissists typically
do not, or cannot, admit that they are flawed.

.

Trump's childhood seems to suggest a history of "pedestal" parenting. "You
are a king," Fred? Trump told his middle child, while ?also teaching him
that the world? was an unforgiving place and that ?it was important to "be
a killer." Trump apparently got the message: He reportedly threw rocks ?at
a neighbor's baby and bragged? about punching a music teacher in? the
face. Other kids from his well-?heeled Queens neighborhood of Jamaica
Estates were forbidden from playing with him, and in school? he got
detention so often that it? was nicknamed "DT," for "Donny Trump." When
his father found ?his collection of switchblades, he? sent Donald upstate
to New York Military Academy, where he could be controlled while also
remaining aggressively alpha male. "I think his father would have fit the
category [of narcissistic]," says Michael D'Antonio, author of The Truth
About Trump. "I think his mother probably would have. And I even think his
paternal grandfather did as well. These are very driven, very ambitious
people."

.

snip

.

At the very least, the growing debate over Trump's mental health raises
the question of what having an NPD president would mean. "I hated
President Bush, but it never occurred to me or any of my colleagues that
he was mentally ill," says John Gartner, a psychologist who taught in the
department of psychiatry at Johns Hopkins University Medical School for 28
years and who has been one of the most vocal critics of upholding the
Goldwater Rule in this case, going so far as to say that Trump suffers
from "malignant narcissism," a term for the triumvirate of narcissistic,
paranoid and antisocial personality disorders (with a little sadism thrown
in for good measure) that was invented to describe what was wrong with
Hitler. "Even though I disagree with everything he believes in, I would be
immensely relieved to have a President Pence," Gartner says. "Because he's
conservative. Not crazy."

.

snip

.

Of course, having a mental illness, in and of itself, wouldn't necessarily
make Trump unqualified for the presidency. A 2006 study published in the
Journal of Nervous & Mental Disease found that 18 of the first 37
presidents met criteria for having a psychiatric disorder, from depression
(24 percent) and anxiety (eight percent) to alcoholism (eight percent) and
bipolar disorder (eight percent). Ten of them exhibited symptoms while in
office, and one of those 10 was arguably our best president, Abraham
Lincoln, who suffered from deep depression (though, considering the death
of his son and the state of the nation, who could blame him?).

.

The problem is that, when it comes to leadership, all pathologies are not
created equal. Some, like depression, though debilitating, do not
typically lead to psychosis or risky decision-making and are mainly
unpleasant only for the person suffering them, as well as perhaps for
their close friends and family. Others, like alcoholism, can be more
dicey: In 1969, Nixon got so sloshed that he ordered a nuclear attack
against North Korea (in anticipation of just such an event, his defense
secretary had supposedly warned the military not to act on White House
orders without approval from either himself or the secretary of state).

.

When it comes to presidents, and perhaps all politicians, some level of
narcissism is par for the course. Based on a 2013 study of U.S. presidents
from Washington to George W. Bush, many of our chief executives with
narcissistic traits shared what is called "emergent leadership," or a keen
ability to get elected. They can be charming and charismatic. They
dominate. They entertain. They project strength and confidence. They're
good at convincing people, at least initially, that they actually are as
awesome as they think they are. (Despite what a narcissist might believe,
research shows they are usually no better-looking, more intelligent or
talented than the average person  though when they are, their narcissism
is better tolerated.) In fact, a narcissist's brash leadership has been
shown to be particularly attractive in times of perceived upheaval, which
means that it benefits a narcissist to promote ideas of chaos and to
identify a common enemy, or, if need be, create one. "They're going to
want attention, and they're going to get attention by making big public
changes and having bold leadership," says Campbell. "So if things are
going well, a narcissistic leader's probably not what you want. If things
aren't going well, you're like, 'Eh, let's roll the dice. Let's get this
person out there to just make some big changes and shake things up.' And
then we pray to God it works."

.

snip

.

This dissociation from reality, paired with Trump's knee-jerk need to
assert his dominance, has led many mental-health professionals to feel
that, no matter what the specific diagnosis, the traits themselves are
enough to render Trump unfit for office, and that a shrink's "duty to
warn" overrides the Goldwater Rule in this instance. "Psychiatrically,
this is the worst-case scenario," says Gartner. "If Trump were one step
sicker, no one would listen to him. If he were wearing a tinfoil hat, if
he were that grotesquely ill, he wouldn't be a threat. But instead, he's
the most severe and toxic form of mental illness that can actually still
function. I mean, in his first week in office, he threatened to invade
Mexico, Iran and Chicago. And thank God someone finally stood up to
Australia, you know? Glad someone had the balls to put them in their
place."

.

Indeed, it was Gartner's fear that "Trump is truly someone who can start a
war over Twitter" that led him to start a petition on January 26th that
called on mental-health professionals to "Declare Trump Is Mentally Ill
and Must Be Removed," invoking Section 4 of the 25th Amendment to the
Constitution, which states that the president should be replaced if he is
"unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office." Gartner's
petition currently has 40,947 signatures. Congresswoman Karen Bass'
petition, #DiagnoseTrump, has 36,743.

.

Not that any of these petitions are likely to make a difference. In order
for Section 4 to be invoked, Congress or the vice president along with a
majority of Trump's handpicked Cabinet would have to call for his removal,
which has never happened under any presidency. And even if Trump did
something that warranted impeachment, 25 Republicans in the House would
have to break ranks to pass the resolution on to the Senate, where
two-thirds of that body would have to condemn him, meaning that no fewer
than 19 Senate Republicans would need to vote in favor of an ouster. Many
of those Republicans come from districts where #MAGA is practically
gospel, meaning that these numbers are not just daunting, they're all but
unthinkable.

Sincerely,

David Dillard

Temple University

(215) 204 - 4584

[hidden email]

http://workface.com/e/daviddillard

Net-Gold
https://groups.io/g/Net-Gold
http://net-gold.3172864.n2.nabble.com/

AND Discussion Group Directory
http://tinyurl.com/ngda2hk

OR

FAKE NEWS
https://sites.google.com/site/fakenewsresearchguide/

RESEARCH PAPER WRITING

EMPLOYMENT

INTERNSHIPS

HOSPITALITY

DISABILITIES AND EMPLOYMENT
http://guides.temple.edu/c.php?g=134557

INDOOR GARDENING
https://groups.io/g/indoor-gardening

Educator-Gold

K12ADMINLIFE

PUBLIC HEALTH RESOURCES INCLUDING EBOLA

STATISTICS SOURCES RESEARCH GUIDE
http://guides.temple.edu/statistics-sources

Social Work and Social Issues Discussion Group
https://groups.io/g/social-work

Tourism Discussion Group
https://groups.io/g/Tourism

Digital Scholarship Discussion Group
https://groups.io/g/DigitalScholarship/threads
https://listserv.temple.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A0=DIGITAL-SCHOLARSHIP
https://digitalscholarshipandscholarlypublication.wordpress.com/

Copyright Research Guide
http://guides.temple.edu/copyright-plagiarism

Fair Use
http://guides.temple.edu/fair-use

Blog
https://educatorgold.wordpress.com/

Articles by David Dillard

http://tinyurl.com/78a4shn

Twitter: davidpdillard

Temple University Site Map

Bushell, R. & Sheldon, P. (eds),
http://tinyurl.com/o4pn4o9

Rail Transportation

INDOOR GARDENING

SPORT-MED

Please Ignore All Links to JIGLU
Temple University Listserv Alert :
Years 2009 and 2010 Eliminated from Archives