COPYRIGHT : JOURNAL ARTICLES : AMERICAN PSYCHOLOGICAL ASSOCIATION : REPUBLICATION : TAKE DOWN NOTICES: Researchers Protest Publisher's Orders to Remove Papers from Their Websites

COPYRIGHT : JOURNAL ARTICLES : AMERICAN PSYCHOLOGICAL ASSOCIATION : REPUBLICATION : TAKE DOWN NOTICES: Researchers Protest Publisher's Orders to Remove Papers from Their Websites

COPYRIGHT :

JOURNAL ARTICLES :

AMERICAN PSYCHOLOGICAL ASSOCIATION :

REPUBLICATION :

TAKE DOWN NOTICES:

Researchers Protest Publisher's Orders
to Remove Papers from Their Websites

Researchers Protest Publisher's Orders
to Remove Papers from Their Websites

Retraction Watch

http://retractionwatch.com/2017/06/14/
researchers-protest-publishers-orders-remove-papers-websites/

.

A shorter URL for the above link:

.

http://tinyurl.com/y8wyop9s

Researchers are protesting orders from the American Psychological
Association to remove links to papers from their websites.

.

Multiple researchers took to Twitter recently to lament the takedown
notices theyve received from the APA; one posted the letter in place of
the link to his paper. According to the APA, the letters are part of a
pilot program to monitor and seek removal of unauthorized online postings
of APA journal articles.

.

The notices cite misuse of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA),
which enables internet users to protect their own content. But it can be
heavily abused by people who file false copyright infringement claims to
remove content they dont like from the internet. (We have even been the
target of such attempts.)

.

According to the letter posted by Nathaniel Daw at Princeton University,
the APA says:

.

As a reminder, authors of articles published by APA are able to post
the final accepted, pre-formatted versions of their articles on their
personal websites, university repositories, and author networking sites

see Internet Posting Guidelines here:

http://www.apa.org/pubs/authors/posting.aspx

.

It has come to our attention that final, formatted versions (i.e.,
versions of record) have been posted on your website, and request that you
take them down. Authors may replace them with the final accepted
manuscript versions, including the required note linking to the version of
record (as outlined in the Internet Posting Guidelines). Doing so allows
APA to preserve the scientific integrity of the research, as finding the
final version of record through the APA PsycARTICLES database connects the
article with any ensuing commentaries, corrections, and potential
retractions; it also connects the version of record to related content and
citation information.

.

The letter concludes:

.

APA appreciates your anticipated cooperation.

.

Daws paper Reduced model-based decision-making in schizophrenia was
published last year in APAs Journal of Abnormal Psychology.

.

Daw told us he received the notice yesterday (as did his wife, who is also
a psychologist):

.

I have always understood that we sign copyright on our articles over
to the journals, for free, which is in principle pretty egregious
(especially since we actually pay fees to publish them, and do service
like peer reviewing for the journals for free), and ostensibly retain only
particular, limited rights to re-distribute them, but this has never
especially concerned me because I have never really seen them attempting
to exercise the copyright against us. I think there has been a sort of
quiet tolerance of us infringing the copyright to share our articles with
each other, presumably because if they were to press the issue it would
highlight how ridiculous the situation is.

.

So anyway although I have for my whole career maintained a web site
full of my articles, probably many technically infringing  as do most of
my peers  I have never before yesterday received any pushback or heard
that anyone has. So its shocking, and especially shocking that it would
come from the APA which is supposed to be a nonprofit and a professional
society advancing science, rather than the more cavalier for-profit
publishers. It seems profoundly anti-science.

.

Daw said he plans to cease providing free labor to the APA, including peer
reviewing submissions, and encourage my colleagues also to do so.

Sincerely,
David Dillard
Temple University
(215) 204 - 4584
[hidden email]
http://workface.com/e/daviddillard

Net-Gold
https://groups.io/g/Net-Gold
http://net-gold.3172864.n2.nabble.com/

AND Discussion Group Directory
http://tinyurl.com/ngda2hk

OR

FAKE NEWS
https://sites.google.com/site/fakenewsresearchguide/

RESEARCH PAPER WRITING

EMPLOYMENT

INTERNSHIPS

HOSPITALITY

DISABILITIES AND EMPLOYMENT
http://guides.temple.edu/c.php?g=134557

INDOOR GARDENING
https://groups.io/g/indoor-gardening

Educator-Gold

K12ADMINLIFE

PUBLIC HEALTH RESOURCES INCLUDING EBOLA

STATISTICS SOURCES RESEARCH GUIDE
http://guides.temple.edu/statistics-sources

Social Work and Social Issues Discussion Group
https://groups.io/g/social-work

Tourism Discussion Group
https://groups.io/g/Tourism

Digital Scholarship Discussion Group
https://groups.io/g/DigitalScholarship/threads
https://digitalscholarshipandscholarlypublication.wordpress.com/

Copyright Research Guide
http://guides.temple.edu/copyright-plagiarism

Fair Use
http://guides.temple.edu/fair-use

Blog
https://educatorgold.wordpress.com/

Articles by David Dillard

http://tinyurl.com/78a4shn

Twitter: davidpdillard

Temple University Site Map

Bushell, R. & Sheldon, P. (eds),
http://tinyurl.com/o4pn4o9

Rail Transportation

INDOOR GARDENING

SPORT-MED

Please Ignore All Links to JIGLU
Temple University Listserv Alert :
Years 2009 and 2010 Eliminated from Archives