BIBLIOGRAPHIES : BOOKS : PUBLISHERS PUBLISHING AND PUBLICATIONS : SOCIAL MEDIA : SOCIAL NETWORKS : WEBSITES: Should a Bibliography be Published in a Book or on the Internet? Some Thoughts

BIBLIOGRAPHIES : BOOKS : PUBLISHERS PUBLISHING AND PUBLICATIONS : SOCIAL MEDIA : SOCIAL NETWORKS : WEBSITES: Should a Bibliography be Published in a Book or on the Internet? Some Thoughts

BIBLIOGRAPHIES :

BOOKS :

PUBLISHERS PUBLISHING AND PUBLICATIONS :

SOCIAL MEDIA :

SOCIAL NETWORKS :

WEBSITES:

Should a Bibliography be Published in a Book or on the Internet?
Some Thoughts

The question was raised on a discussion group as to the best publisher to
use for the publication of a disabilities related bibliography.

I made the observations below regarding this query.

This depends on the outcome one is looking for by sharing this content.
Publishing a bibliography is not the best way of putting this content
out there.  Bibliographies are out of date rapidly as new books and
articles emerge.  In this age when academic libraries have hundreds of
databases, the motivation to purchase bibliographies is limited, so they
are unlikely to be a money making resource.  Print books cannot be
updated, unless one publishes new editions and these need to be spread
over time.

.

On the other hand one can publish annual collections of publications on a
topic covered in a bibliography on a website, as a blog post or as a post
to a discussion group each time and have an index to each years edition on
a website.  Google Sites are free to users and websites can have many
pages and only require ownership of a Gmail account as the login for
access to Google Sites.  One can arrange the website alphabetically with
different web pages for each letter or for groups of letters of the
alphabet.  One could also arrange web pages for each year,s sources and
produce a chronogical document rather than an alphabetical citation
source.

.

One can back up this content on Blogs and/or discussion groups.  Wordpress
blogs, Google Sites, and Groups.IO discussion group posts can all be
edited so one can add content whenever one wishes to update.  I cannot
remember the last time I purchased a bibliography for the library
collection where I work.  Also, in my collection development work, book
purchases are overwhelmingly for print books.  In my subject fields, about
ten percent of the books I view citations for are available online and of
those five percent are anywhere from double the price of the paperback
edition to four or five or six or more times the price of the paperback.
In print books, one does not have a search engine box for content within
the book to view the occurances within the book of words and phrases, so
those wishing citations on a very specific topic may have a large task to
find such content within a book unless the author has done an exceptional
job of organizing and indexing that content.

.

There is a huge body of biblographic sources available on the internet for
most broad topics one can think of, not to mention the bibliographies
included in books and dissertations about a specific subject.

Consider these links to this set of these terms that lead to database
results for this search strategy.

.

("DRUG ABUSE" OR "DRUG DEPENDENCE" OR "DRUG ADDICTION" OR "SUBSTANCE
ADDICTION" OR "SUBSTANCE ABUSE") AND ("MENTAL ILLNESS" OR "MENTALLY ILL"
OR "PSYCHOLOGICAL DISORDERS") AND (BIBLIOGRAPHY OR "LITERATURE REVIEW" OR
"REVIEW OF THE LITERATURE")

.

Google Web Search

http://tinyurl.com/y7axpr9y

.

Google Scholar

http://tinyurl.com/ybfcqxql

.

Google Books

http://tinyurl.com/yd4vm9jd

.

Google Domain Limited Web Search (PUBMED)

http://tinyurl.com/y8d33v2j

.

Penn State Summon Search

http://tinyurl.com/ybl6odw4

I changed the search topic to one that with concrete terms will give one
an understanding of the competition one will find, much of it free, in
published bibliographies on a core topic in the area of disabilities. This
does not include the results one will see when they devise their own
search strategy in the relevant database choices one has from the hundreds
of these tools one finds at university libraries.

Sincerely,
David Dillard
Temple University
(215) 204 - 4584
[hidden email]
http://workface.com/e/daviddillard

Net-Gold
https://groups.io/g/Net-Gold
http://net-gold.3172864.n2.nabble.com/

AND Discussion Group Directory
http://tinyurl.com/ngda2hk

OR

FAKE NEWS
https://sites.google.com/site/fakenewsresearchguide/

RESEARCH PAPER WRITING
https://sites.google.com/site/howtowriteasuperresearchpaper/

EMPLOYMENT
https://sites.google.com/site/employmentsources/

INTERNSHIPS
http://tinyurl.com/2f9x2wp

TOURISM RESEARCH GUIDE
http://tinyurl.com/ycko9hqj

DISABILITIES AND EMPLOYMENT
https://sites.google.com/site/disabilitiesemploymentresearch/

Educator-Gold

K12ADMINLIFE

Social Work and Social Issues Discussion Group
https://groups.io/g/social-work

Tourism Discussion Group
https://groups.io/g/Tourism

Digital Scholarship Discussion Group